Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: How African American Teens View Themselves

Powerful, Great!!!

Now, I hope no-one will argue that African-Americans have no complex based on (dark vis-à-vis light) skin colour or that skin-BLEACHING does not exists among America's blacks, as I remember someone replied to me when I posted that piece about the skin-bleaching complex barely 3 months ago. One thing I see is that black people’s problems are both universal and partly self-caused based on society, the society we all build to live in, especially at the nuclear family level, on a social scale. In Afrika, it isn’t any different and—especially in the towns/cities—we’ll find the same problems abound, the same complexes, girls and boys mimicking African-Americans ... When I visited Afrika this year, I noticed that there’s now a BIG cultural shift among teenagers—(at least in my country)—due to the so-called MTV-Base, if I remember that name correctly, or also called “MTV Africa” airing from South Africa. Most homes can now even access MTV America and MTV Europe, and there’s so much invisible psycho-poison been spewed in the air by these commercial stations that most people there cannot even see ... In general, people in the Diaspora always talk about Arika so romantically, Afrikan “culture”, “values”, Afrika this & that etc but I say, hey, go there and see for yourself how lost the people there are!

I am sure this same “loss of self/mind” can be reflected in certain Afrikans one meets abroad/overseas! Being in constant self-denial won’t help anyone of us, but will kill us all slowly but surely!

Just my few comments & observations.

Thanx for that link!

Messages In This Thread

How African American Teens View Themselves *LINK*
Re: How African American Teens View Themselves
see also: "A Girl Like Me" thread *LINK*
Re: see also: "A Girl Like Me" thread

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com