HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: 'A Girl Like Me' isn't what they want

This article is fundamental in understanding why the so-called Black Revolution is at a standstill. African people need to address the colour complex; colourism in particular. If people would really like to ‘break the cycle’ they would first have to deal with the colour of their skins.

It is evident that even now, sixty – something odd years after the first study that these attitudes are still the same. Why? Because people still annex beauty to fair skin among other standards such as hair texture (straight, wavy/curly), size (thin) and height (tall).

It is a problem that the entire world has accepted; including dark skin Black Africans and that is where a major problem lies. Thus, an entire attitude shift by those who want change would be necessary if things are to change.

Even after the so-called Black revolution of the 1970’s and various other Civil Rights Movements, the issues, including the issue of Black beauty and pride, still have not been addressed properly. Thus, even those who claim that they are “down with the struggle” still have serious issues regarding beauty. They still think that Blacks and mixed ones with European features are more desirable than Blacks with traditional African features.

If these and other issues are not addressed within the African community, then the Revolution will never come to fruition.

Messages In This Thread

'A Girl Like Me' isn't what they want *LINK*
...just to add....
Re: 'A Girl Like Me' isn't what they want *LINK*
RASpect Bro. Bless *NM*
Parents, school syst and pop media's fault..
An EXCERPT from, "Don't Play in the Sun ..." *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com