HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The African Caribbean debate

I hope this debate develops because all around people were miseducated about each other.

In the Caribbean we have some poor attitudes by those from bigger islands towards those from smaller islands. These attitudes were part of the atmosphere that blocked Caribbean integration. Even in Trinidad and Tobago we can hear derogatory references to Africa and Africans from other Caribbean islands. To further add from my experiences, U.S. Blacks generally display superiority complexes towards other Blacks, especially when U.S Blacks travel abroad. Sometimes one gets the impression that all is well with them in the U.S. as they brag about how great it is back home (the U.S.) while talking down to others. I have witnessed this personally on numerous occasions. These same superiority and inferiority complexes paralleling European false standards are definitely being played out among Blacks.

Since the early dispersion of African people, Africans have not been one homogenous people. We had shared values but a host of differences based on different experiences. Today we have different values alongside different experiences. Acknowledging the differences and not trying to suppress them is the way to go. We could deal with the attitudes by developing better values.

As I previously said, all sides have been misinformed, and one way to help address this among those who wish to develop a more cohesive broad base coalition, is to encourage all sides to learn about the experiences of others, alongside our common history.

Messages In This Thread

The African Caribbean debate *LINK*
Yo Burridge...
Re: Yo Burridge...
Lets reverse the 1 drop rule!
Re: Lets reverse the 1 drop rule!
Re: Lets reverse the 1 drop rule! *LINK*
Re: The African Caribbean debate *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com