HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Colorism (selassielive)
In Response To: Re: Colorism (selassielive) ()

Speaking as a lighter-skinned conscious idren, I have never felt "rejected", ever in my life, by darker-skinned [Black African] people, based on my lighter shade of skin color or the fact that my biological and familial father is categorized as white.
This includes my bredren's wife from "G.T." as we call the Land of Many Waters, who described me once as 'white'. She didn't try to chop my head off with a cutlass like how our national hero Cuffy (Kofi) did to the Dutch backra dem in Berbice in 1763. She did not ignore me when I asked her a question. She treated me perfectly "civilly" [as in "civilization"... people who treat one another with "civililty", although that is not the usual definition, the usual definition involves building bigger buildings, having an elaborate hierarchical social structure, "inventing" "writing", and having the capacity to kill more people than your "uncivilized" neighbour has.]
All she did was [as I found out later through her husband] refer to me as 'white.'
When I found that out, I did not feel 'rejected'. I'd been called a lot of things before, such as "nigger", "four-eyes" [Bespectacled People of the World, Unite!], but I'd never been called 'white.' Rather than feel "rejected", I used it as an opportunity to try put myself in someone else's shoes, and get perhaps a brief, vague glimpse of the perspective from which someone could label me as 'white.'
"Ah wish ah had a nice clear-skin chile like dat"- quote from some Black-skinned woman who was out strolling with her baby, while I was passing by walking by with my parents, in Georgetown, Guyana around 1980 or so. I was young but I remember it well and I knew there was something wrong with the comment even at the time.

Messages In This Thread

Colorism (selassielive)
Who Decides Who Is White? *LINK*
Re: Who Decides Who Is White?
first, please define colorism. *NM*
'colorism' from Wikipedia is black-on-black racism
colorism defined by Larry D. Crawford
english word 'black' is coined by "WhitePeople"
Re: english word 'black' is coined by "WhitePeople
more 'white' bull or was taurus coloured
Re: english word 'black' is coined by "WhitePeople
discipleofthenile, open the "codebook"
Strong and Realistic Reasoning *NM*
All other things being equal....
Re: All other things being equal....
For example...
Re: For example...
Colorism and Black Leadership

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com