Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The Skin-Bleaching Phenomenon: Commentary

Greetings selassielive!

Much thanks for that quick reply, very much appreciated.

Of course I agree with you that the only reason that should make sense to us as to why (some black) people bleach their skin is due to self-hatred and harbouring an inferiority complex, in themSelves. The mere fact that a person that bleaches does so most likely to “look cool”—(as the posted article points out in some parts)—is an indication of this inferiority complex, and that there can only be something very wrong about them: No doubt, no questions!

And regarding question no. 2, my answer is also a resounding “NO!”, any black person that bleaches their skin could *never* convince me that they are proud to be as Nature created them, or that they are “pan-Afrikanist” or “pro-black” et cetera. I suppose that should be quite obvious to deduce, a logical conclusion … Such a bleaching person would have to call themselves something else, before they can convince me about what they are.

I personally commend the Gambia for banning skin-lightening products and making anyone found with them, or using them, a felon punishable by law. Being from Afrika, born in Afrika, I know quite well the extent of physical and psychological damage caused by such products as “Cleartone” or “Ambi”, the only such creams I remember from my earlier days growing up as a young boy in Zambia. Honestly, I’ve always wished all such products BANNED from Afrika!

And you are right again, I’m sure most people that bleach got the influence (or lack of it) from within their home & social surroundings. Briefly, I think this could mean any of the following:

1. Was there someone older/influential within the family/social surrounding using such “beauty” products?

2. Was there any mockery about their (dark/er) skin in their earlier years?

3. Were they ever properly advised—(or let’s just call it *educated*)—AT HOME and cautioned against usage of such toxic products, and instilled self-esteem?

4. Were they, in any way, under “pressure” from their boyfriend, or just someone of influence (especially male) within their family castigating their (dark) skin?

5. Do they—individually—LOVE their natural dark skin?

The answer to the last question is of course another NO, hence the self-loathing hatred, which I’m sure, though, they’d argue does not exist: or that they actually “love” themselves so! Or that they “love” black people!! … Sorry, but I wouldn’t believe that even a little!

You finally asked:

“I ask u Idren, do we put the ones who were born light into the same category as the ones who bleach their skin to become light? Are both devoid of blackness?”

Well, I’d first like to answer that I consider your question VERY important, as it clearly points to the “grey area” that can easily “confuse” many of us … I for one consider naturally light-skinned blacks as belonging to a quite different category than those who “bleach their skin to become light”. In fact, there should be “very little black” about people that bleach their skin, compared to black people that are naturally lighter-skinned than most/“normal” black people are. I would even “over-stretch” that a bit by adding that to me, even mixed-raced blacks (or “half-blacks”) who HONESTLY and tirelessly work toward identifying with their black heritage show more INTEGRITY than those bleaching blacks that would make the loudest noise about “Black Power” … bla-bla-blah!… when, in essence, they look the direct opposite of what they preach.

(These are only MY views)

Give thanks!

Messages In This Thread

The Skin-Bleaching Phenomenon: Commentary *LINK*
here's a start... *NM* *LINK*
another set of devils. *NM* *LINK*
SKIN-BLEACHING CAN CAUSE AIDS-LIKE SKIN DISEASE *LINK*
Re: SKIN-BLEACHING CAN CAUSE AIDS-LIKE SKIN DISEAS *LINK*
Re: SKIN-BLEACHING CAN CAUSE AIDS-LIKE SKIN DISEAS *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com