Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: RASTAFARI AND THE AFTERLIFE

Greetings

"it is unfortunate that your culture, which im sure is an indigenous one, didnt know that they are the children of the sun. "

I have to correct you there. The word SHONA, used to describe the linguist group spread over most of Zimbabwe is of recent conception- and its etymology still disputed. All written records from before around the 1800s speak of the Kalanga/Makalaka. Ka-Langa means CHILDREN OF THE SUN. Of course, this means a particular bloodline that is descended from the Nile Valley culture, where the Sun was an important symbol. The Ka- prefix denotes a specific family. If I was of that culture, I would be known as Masimba Ka-Musodza. One can also connect the Ka- prefix to the Hebrew Ha-, but seeing as I do not have further information, I will refrain from further comment.

In my language, we only have the names of the planets that we can see, and these again relate to the times that we see them ( there are different names for Venus in the evening and in the morning- the Biblical Bright and Morning Star) The Moon- Mwedzi- also has its own name, and we have a traditional 13 month calendar- although most people use the Western one.

However, the idea that the sun and other heavenly bodies themselves exert influence over mankind, this is alien to Zimbabwe. Astrology is considered Western, in fact all the astrologers are white. Jill Darke is the most famous, she does a radio show, she used to do one on TV as well. She is also in to UFOs and other "paranormal" stuff. But it is all outside my own cultural heritage and that of most Zimbabweans.

Don't be discouraged that there are African cultures that have no regard for what you believe in. Africa is big, and Africa is on the move all the time. If I can accept the fact that your outlook is different, I don't think you could do any less and reciprocate.

As the saying goes, respect!!!

Messages In This Thread

RASTAFARI AND THE AFTERLIFE
Re: RASTAFARI AND THE AFTERLIFE *LINK*
Astrology understandings *LINK*
Re: RASTAFARI AND THE AFTERLIFE *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com