HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The 'charles taylor' gambit *LINK*

The credibility nigeria has comes from the role it played in ending the wars in sierra leone and liberia. Hundreds of nigerians soldiers died in those wars. One of them was a classmate of mine. People who live in that region know what nigeria did, in spite of the wastern propaganda that would have the world believe that britain brought peace to sierra leone while amerikkka brought peace to liberia.
------
i didnt assert that nigeria played no role in assisting in the peace of neighboring nations, including liberia.
--------

And, if like you imply, nigeria had no credibility, why would charles taylor have left liberia for nigeria? How many lives were saved by his leaving at the time he did?
-----------
im not implying that nigeria has no credibility, as it pertains to being a participating
stakeholder in peace keeping interventions in liberia and sierra leone, however it could be argued that nigeria has not fully guaranteed, human rights for the citizens within its own borders.

i will restate my premise, that did not insinuate that nigeria has no credibility as a peacemaker. however, participation alone, in the peacemaking process, does not indicate that a nation is fully committed to human rights, and a lasting peace peace both in and ouside of its borders.

my intent is not to demonize the nigerian government, or its successful intervention in conflicy zones. however nigeria does not have an exeplary record on respecting the human rights of its citizens.

i dont think that charles taylor being offered asylum in nigeria is a reality that should be lauded as an initiative that was an effort to save lives. could the same lives had been saved if the nigerian government, prior to any persuasion from any foreign interventionist, turned taylor over to appropriate officials, where he could be judged by his accusers, and held accountable if he was guilty, or released if he was innocent.

i have never been to nigeria, and inasmuch i dont have any direct knowledge of the affairs of the state, thus i am stating opinions, sharing retrieved information, and seeking answers to the realities in which we are discussing.

Messages In This Thread

The 'charles taylor' gambit
Powerful!!!
Re: The 'charles taylor' gambit
Make sense (if you can)
Re: Make sense (if you can)
Re: Clarifcation

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com