Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Questions about Afrikan Inity

"Do black people really want unity?"

* You should clearly state what you mean by unity and how you think it could be attained.

Inity to I is people joining together for one common goal. This is not done by highlighting differences because we all have differences and will always have differences. I think we need to highlight the similiar ideas and try to work from there.

"Or do we want to have disputes about who is more Afrikan than the next?"

* I will not accept any and everyone as an African by race. Since you know that, is this another attempt to misrepresent the Colorism Debate? Any white person who claims to be African could ask that same question.

You may accept someone that I may not accept and so forth. That does not mean that who you accept is anymore valued than who I accept.

I am not trying to misrepresent anything. I have already said my view of putting light skin blacks against dark skin blacks. I am concerned more about the person's ideas than if he/she is brown, light brown, or dark brown. Pertinent ideas are what moves people to action, not the how much blacker someone is.

"Is it best to focus on idealogical differences or similarities?"

* It is best to focus on differences and similarities.

What is there to be gained on focusing on differences in method if the goal is the same?

"Is it folly to expect all Afrikan people to think the same due to the fact that Afrikans is not one monolithic group? Afrika is filled with different religions and cultures."

* This is another SPIN you are trying to put on this debate. Are you saying when you are holding to your position in any number of debates you are doing so because you want everyone to think like you?

Right, right..Im the spin doctor. I am saying that if you hold your position and refuse to sight a difference in view as valid in some form, then you are trying to make someone veer towards your perspective.

"But do we all have to think the same to unite?"

* NO. However, there can be no unity with ones who deliberately lie and distort. Let's see how you define unity (try original ideas and not clichés and quotes).

So I am the spin doctor, mr.distortion and mr cliche and quote. I guess I never forward with my own reasonings on this site.

"So what do we do when one Afrikan has a different view of the other?"

* Reason it out. There is no problem with people having different views; there are problems when people deliberately misrepresent the views of others, resorting to character assassination as a means of distracting from their own errors. Selassielive, there are obvious contradictions and misrepresentations in several of your posts. People should not tolerate lies.

I too have looked at some old posts and fail to see where my position has changed on colorism. I acknowledge that darker people (especially women) suffer tremendously because of white supremacy. I just fail to say that brown and light brown people dont suffer from white supremacy as well.

"Do we insist that our view is the correct view and the others are wrong?"

* In the Black Leadership Debate you have not reasonably shown that you are advancing a BETTER or even a DIFFERENT view. You simply don't seem to like my view. You have not challenged any aspect of what I have actually stated. Instead you have tried to give a false impression about my views.

Let's say you made an error initially. When it was pointed out to you, you could have dealt with it instead of just refusing to respond to that post while continuing to peddle what can now be called deliberate lies. What you have done is woefully distort and/or lie about our general views on black leadership. There are several example posts of yours like that on the board. They are like elephants in the room.

Again, I dont sight how I have 'distorted' your reasonings. I simply dont agree with what you are saying...not when it comes to minimizing brown and light brown people who suffer from black supremacy as well.

I posted a utterence by Haile Selassie on true leadership which I am in agreeance with.

"Do we verbally insult those who have a different perspective?"

* We should not. But you do it and you COULD claim that others (including myself) do it to you (I doubt you can prove that). I will not accept your take on who is insulting who, since in my view your recent distortions/lies over this black leadership issue can be viewed as another attempt to insult.

Of course I can not prove any wrong doings in your part. You are always right and correct. You said I could CLAIM that ones do it? I am sure you have read those types of posts just like I have. You are in serious denial if you say otherwise.

"Arent there many paths to the same destination?"

* Sure, there may be many paths to some destinations. I doubt that everyone has conceptualized one ultimate destination to know for sure if there is one path or many paths to that destination. Instead of clichés, simply define the destination you are referring to here.

The destination that I am referring to is the destruction of Babylon and the autonomy of black and brown people everywhere.

"Do we stand firm on something that was imposed on us by Europeans (colorism for ex.) or do we try to transcend these things?"

* Again you are attempting to mislead. My response to the legacy of Racism and Colorism is based on my stated Principle that people who are most systematically affected by the ills of something should be the people to lead the pace for redress. If they are informed and developing, they would be armed with the direct experiences and confidence to speak on the issues. They should be the ones to benefit first from ALL efforts to redress the issue. More of my views here: http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/config.pl?noframes;read=69906

Benefit first? All black people who are putting in work for the liberation of Afrikan people everywhere should share in the efforts.

I have agreed that black Afrikan movements should have Black Afrikan people, but it is the ideas that the person puts forward that should be important. Again, dark skin doesnt move people, ideas do. So I feel that brown people can lead just as well if they are qualified.

"Is there really any benefit to alienate brothas and sisters in the name of standing firm?"

* Yes. If people are deliberately distorting and lying then all other interactions with them, besides showing them their errors, contribute to extending the corruption.

I have shown you where I disagree. I will not say you are in error or that I am in error. It is our opinion. We all have them.

"Isnt it more beneficial to embrace all shades of black brothas and sistas who are fighting for Afrikan liberation ?"

* I believe this is another attempt to misrepresent the views expressed on Colorism. Who said we should not embrace different people? My comments should show that it is not about alienation, but about redressing wrongs and organizing in a manner that does not allow those who have systematically experienced the worst in the system to be continually mashed down by others. I think that some people who say they are fighting for African Liberation do not have a clue about what that means and how it could be attained. I feel most are still looking for fame, fortune, sex, and a 'good time'. Too many have simply learnt revolutionary words and clichés, while lacking original thoughts.

Tell I how many thoughts you have are original...that have never been expressed by anyone before. It would be interesting to sight those. Also, I dont sight any brown people on this forum mashing down any dark brown people.

"Will we ever put away our petty differences?"

* What some will call petty differences may be a big deal to others who are on the receiving end of the abuses from those differences. People only talk about putting away differences when they feel it is more advantageous to them to keep the status quo. We should NOT tolerate lies and/or deliberate distortions. Lies and distortions are not petty differences.

I guess Haile Selassie had a motive when he said : "We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."

"Is Afrikan unity an illusion to be pursued, but never obtained?"

* African Unity will remain an illusion to those who lack integrity. It is no illusion to I.

I dont sight how division and unity can ever be friends but I guess you feel otherwise. It's all good.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

* We should carefully work out our relationships/alliances or eventually we find ourselves 'sleeping with the enemy' metaphorically speaking and/or quite literally.

Is working out relationships done by telling someone that has put in work for the libertion of Afrikans that they are not fit to lead because of shade of blackness? I would agree with you if merit was just as much as important to you. You say it is but I havent seen any post titled, "Poor Afrikan leaders", or "Meritous Black leaders." I have seen light skin vs dark skin colorism enough though.

#

PS: You are grasping at clichés to speak for you and are using them badly.

Thank you. I will try to use cliches and quotes that are more to your liking next time.

Peace

Messages In This Thread

Questions about Afrikan Inity
Oneness of Interests
Re: Oneness of Interests

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com