Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: What does it mean to be black in the 21st cent

Greetings Ayinde
Why did I know that you would be the first to respond to my post?

"* Come on! You have been paticularly defensive (uncomfortable) in discussions on Colorism, so much so that you accused I of Willie Lynchism (a term that definitely cannot apply to dark-skinned Blacks) for sharing my views on the unsuitability of light-skinned and White ones to lead dark-skinned Blacks in a Black Movement."

I am not uncomfortable with the topic of colorism. I have a problem with your personal assessment on who is suitable to lead and who is not. Considering all the shade that Afrikan people display, I thought it was quite limiting and shortsighted that u would say that a light brownskin person is not suitible to be a leader in a black movement regardless of that person's experience with racism and white supremacy.

"You have not demonstrated that you have learnt anything from the Colorism debates on this board."

That is fine. I dont have to prove that to you now do I?

"* After all that has been said on the subject, this is what you have gathered from the discussions? Be honest now, does your comment, "The problem I have is the idea that the leaders of Afrikan movements have to be 100% Afrikan." reflect what I have shared on the subject? Bantu Kelani recently gave a simple definition of what is meant by 100% African (http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/config.pl?noframes;read=67541). Bantu Kelani uses the term "negroid" type and I usually would say "dark-skinned kinky hair Black African"."

If you would look closely, you would see that this is in direct response to karibkweens statement about "100% Afrikan ("Therefore, it is the natural right of Africans on the path towards African liberation to demand that their icons be 100% African."). Although I do think we do have that right, Pianke later showed how inaccurate it can be to label someone 100% Afrikan or not. Even Kelani's description of 100% Afrikan is shown to be false and based mainly on phenotype and not genotype. This is where I feel the divisiveness and willie lynchism comes into play. We dont alienate a brownskinned Afrikan because his skin is not dark enough to be an "icon" of blackness.

"* You are quite right when you said you have a problem. What VIBE you get could be as a result of your own attitude/defensiveness toward the subject. It would be good if you supplied quotes from what others said so we can all understand where your comments are coming from."

I dont think it is necessary to search for quotes from anyone. Everyone can believe what they may just as I. Just know that belief is not knowledge. It is not a matter of right or wrong. It is a matter of opinion...we all have them. If I get a vibe about something, then it is my experience, my reality. Who feels it knows it.

"* You posted that question a while back and I responded to you on point. You did not challenge what I said then so it is rather strange that you are asking that question again as if it was never addressed. Here is one of the posts where I addressed merit a few years ago (August 2003 "No Colorless Rasta Movement" http://www.rastaspeaks.com/articles/18082003.html).

I can remember you responding to one of my comments with "let us agree to disagree" instead of pursuing the debate (no matter how heated) to get greater clarity. So if you are unclear about what I have stated on the subject that is really your fault."

I said let's agree to disagree because that is how I feel. You were stating opinions about who is fit to lead. You were not stating universal truths. So I feel it is best for us to agree to disagree. You can keep your opinion as can I.

As I said, I have no problem with the topic of Colorism itself. I did have a problem with your own personal assumptions so I said something about it.

Why would I agree that only darkskinned, blue black Afrikans are fit to lead (be an icon of) a black movement when Qedamawi Haile Selassie and Qedamawit Menen Asfaw are light brown skinned Afrikans? Haile Selassie is the icon of Rastafari, where this site gets it's name. His light brown skinned face even graces to pages of this website.

I wont bite of my nose to spite I face because of someone's personal opinion?

But give thanks for your personal opinion still.

Just dont take it as absolute law and truth.

Peace

Messages In This Thread

What does it mean to be black in the 21st century? *LINK*
Re: Diluted Rastafari Icon?
Re: Diluted Rastafari Icon? *LINK*
Re: The whole response to Selassielive!
Re: the whole africa was once called Ethiopia/Abys *NM*
What about InI invaded & occupied lands in Asia ? *NM*
Re: POWERFUL AND INSIGHTFUL POSTS EJA AFRICAN LOVE *NM*
Re: GREAT POST!!! *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com