HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: 'Weed for all' At Bob Marley's Birthday Bash

"I did not mean you are of any label; just the lacking in experience or total familiarity of the RastafarI culture."

* Being familiar with Rastafari does not mean I accept all that is purported to be Rastafari. I do not know anyone who has TOTAL familiarity with Rastafari. Rastafari is not a finished product, it is still evolving and taking shape. I have also not met anyone who accepts all of what others claim that Rastafari is about.

"My anology to Castaneda isn't about the exactness of the experience, as much as one needing a guide on such a different experience."

* Fyahman, I am saying that the story with Castaneda has many lessons that validate my view. Don Juan DID mention the importance in having an experienced guide while using peyote, but he, himself explained and demonstrated the limitations of using peyote. To note, they both admitted in the end to not getting the fullness of the exercise. So the lessons there cannot be seen as a done deal from any point of view.

“This led them to develope the drug at the UWI for glacuoma called Cannibol.”

* I find this rather strange. It is reported that Marijuana can relieve the symptoms of some chronic conditions, such as multiple sclerosis as well as some purported uses that gman mentioned. But I never read where a drug was developed for glaucoma called Cannibol. I think Cannibol is the 3rd ingredient in the formula THC (tetra-hydro-cannibol). They say there are hundreds of cannibols present in the cannabis plant.

"As far as preferences are concerned, my references were to universities' studies and researches done in Jamaica on the folk medicine of the people and on the fishermen; given their ability to be farsighted. This led them to develope the drug at the UWI for glacuoma called Cannibol."

* Rastafarians and others (in general) are not smoking marijuana because some University study claims it is beneficial for healing. Certainly most people who smoke marijuana are not doing so because they feel they are physically sick and in need its medical benefits.

In our indigenous history, many of our ancestors did use mind altering substances to gain heights. The insights from that history are with us today. From since that time, can you tell me one fresh insight that can advance humanity that came through the use of Marijuana or any other mind altering substances? I do not believe that everything our ancestors used at some time is necessary for us to use today. But having said that, I still feel it is people's right to smoke Marijuana if they want. I do not support or promote smoking it as part of self development. I think developing a strong character and learning history as a means for improving character is one of the best methods for developing deep insights. Of course, reasoning with others helps there too.

The use of drugs to relieve some who are suffering in and of itself does not constitute a positive effect in my view. Why people are suffering is important towards evaluating the usefulness of a cure. Are they suffering because they are the victims of the abuses of others or are they suffering because they have a dangerous outlook on life, abuse others and all of that poor mindset and conduct translated into negative physical reactions/illnesses to themselves? If a man is about to unjustly kill and he falls ill, and you get him sufficiently better so he can go ahead and kill, that is not positive in my view. He is still sick if not cured of the murderous mindset. So the better cure in my view is the one that will change the negative attitude and conduct, or leave him to die.

In the earlier post, you said:
"Their are receptors in our brain which has evolved with us, that mimic and produce stimulants that are obtained from the use of Ganjah."

* The neurotransmitter and receptors in the brain can be stimulated to alter perception through a host of activities, one of which is by smoking Marijuana. There are many other ways to do that. I am saying it can be done with education if applied properly, and the benefits are far more effective.

What you are saying about "... stimulants that are obtained from the use of Ganjah" could be quite true but there is no real proof of that. It is also possible that the same stimulants existed in humans and they react the same way as what they observed with Marijuana use. It is also very plausible that the mental stimulation was always there that propelled early humans to evolve more analytically after walking upright among other things. If early humans were using stimulants to get to an elevated place of awareness then they would have had to have some prior awareness that the place was indeed an elevated place desirous of returning to for clarity.

Other animals could be in a state of instinctive consciousness and are just using a small part of their brains to navigate this material world and learn new things. Instincts are actions from the conscious aspect of living things, but beyond the direct control of the individuals until they develop an analytical mind.

Also, periodically returning to an elevated place for clarity is not the goal. The goal is to remain in that place all the time so one is always conscious and clear. That is not possible with Marijuana or any other external stimulant.

"Thus where you conclude that the universal set regarding Ganjah is all negative; I conclude that the universal set of the aforementioned comprises both positive and negative, with the positive elements outweighing the negative ones."

* My response was, "I personally have no proof of any positive effect, but I have witnessed dangerous effects."

I did not conclude what YOU stated I did.

I have read where there are many positive effects but I personally have no proof of any. How does what I actually said amount to your statement, "... you conclude that the universal set regarding Ganjah is all negative"

I am repeating what I actually said again:
"I PERSONALLY HAVE NO PROOF OF ANY POSITIVE EFFECT, but I have witnessed dangerous effects."

I also said:
"I am not trying to deter people in general from smoking marijuana. I feel they should smoke if they want. I only caution those whom I work with directly about the danger in using these stimulants while attempting to consciously develop. I will not invest too much time with people whom I feel will not be able to sustain high states of consciousness because they have a dependency that lifts them in the short term, but limits them in the long term. I think it is important that people be aware that they can develop a natural high and sustain it through education."

What are you refuting there? Clearly people who want to smoke Marijuana and attempt to consciously develop are not being denied anything by I.

These arguments parallel the arguments regarding Colorism, once people don't like what they hear, they stop listening and start defensively distorting.

Messages In This Thread

'Weed for all' At Bob Marley's Birthday Bash *LINK*
Castaneda
Can you make the same argument for fasting? *NM*
THE WAY THEM FIGHT HEARB'S IN GHANA!
I JUST GET CHANSE TO SIGHT ALL THE THRED!
We Don't Smoke To Praise The Creator Or To Live
Re: We Don't Smoke To Praise The Creator Or To Liv
MY LORD AND EMPRESS!
Re: MY LORD AND EMPRESS!
VERY GOOD ADVICE *NM*
Re: VERY GOOD ADVICE
MY LORD THAT'S NOT PRACTICUL!
THAT'S NOT PRACTICUL!
Re: THAT'S NOT PRACTICUL!
Re: VERY GOOD ADVICE
MY LORD AND EMPRESS BLESSED LOVE!!
Re: MY LORD AND EMPRESS BLESSED LOVE!!
Re: MY LORD AND EMPRESS BLESSED LOVE!!
CHK THIS OUT MY LORD AND EMPRESS!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com