Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Army racism drove me to depression

THE ARMY look set to be embarassed by new revelations about racism after it emerged that the words "die nigger" were scrawled on the barrack doors of a black squaddie.

Shaka Wallace: says he suffered constant racism.

The Sun newspaper has reported that ex-cop Shaka Wallace suffered a whole catalogue of racist abuse.

The case, which is due to reach an employment tribunal later this month, is the latest allegation of army racism and is likely to further undermine attempts to recruit more soldiers from Black communities.

Mr Wallace claims he was subjected to constant racial insults which left him "humiliated and embarrassed." The former paratrooper will tell the court he was kicked out after complaining about his treatment.

Trinidadian Mr Wallace says he was publicly branded a “Yardie”, and on one occasion a Sergeant Major knocked off his beret, telling him he was “not worthy to wear it”.

suffering

Mr Wallace is quoted as saying: “Racism is rife and the Army seems to just brush it under the carpet. My superiors thought by getting rid of me they could get rid of the problem. I feel so frustrated and cheated. It’s ruined my life.”

Shaka Wallace's army dreams lie in ruins
Mr Wallace was based with the Paderborn regiment in Germany, and drove Challenger II battle tanks in the prestigious Royal Hussars.

He said: "I was so excited about becoming the best solider I could. Now I’m fighting the very people I wanted to be. And I know other black and Asian soldiers are suffering.”

Mr Wallace made a complaint last March and immediately began to experience unfair treatment.

He developed depression and was thrown out in July, after two years in the Army. “I’ve not been able to find work since. I'm sleeping on sofas and my life’s a mess.

"I hope the truth will come out and I finally get justice. The Army needs to face up to the problem of racism.”

An MoD spokeswoman said: “We cannot comment as it is the subject of legal proceeding. But the number of incidents of racially motivated harassment is relatively low.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published by the 1990 Trust

Messages In This Thread

Re: Army racism drove me to depression
Ovahs; Dis one was brutish, all dih same *NM*
Re: Ovahs; Dis one was brutish, all dih same
Re: Ex-Liberian enemies to join U.S.-trained army
Re: Help Africa Help Itself Militarily
U.S. Army: To protect and promote White Supremacy
Re: U.S. Army: To protect and promote White Suprem
DYNACORP
Video Shows Officer Shooting Airman

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com