HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: First Kill the Language, Then the Culture

I don't know what effect welsh-language tv is having other than giving the massive some REALLY boring soap operas. But the Welsh language is definitely alive and well. About half of my co-workers and the residents at the old age home I work in speak Welsh. All my co-workers' children speak it as it is compulsory in schools nowadays (as opposed to in the past when kids were severely punished for speaking it in school). Overall I think about 25% of people in Wales speak Welsh and that percentage is bound to grow steadily as kids grow up speaking it.
Wales, especially South Wales, contains some of the poorest areas in Europe, it also has the highest rate of teenage pregnancies in Europe (I guess it gets kinda boring on the cold winter nights, not much else to do but...) There are defintely parts of Cymru (Wales) which would be defined as third world in terms of income, access to medical care, etc. But as far as the language is concerned, Wales is not in trouble in that regard, the Welsh language is growing not diminishing.

Messages In This Thread

First Kill the Language, Then the Culture
Give Thanhks Fyahman
Give Thanhks to dih writer!; Tanks fih read it *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com