Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: First Kill the Language, Then the Culture

Greetings Fyahman,

they are all classified as celtic languages, but split into various 'streams' more than a milennia ago (I would have to go and look it up to say exactly when, sorry). Some scholars I have read say that being 'celtic' was as much a language and culture thing, as fairly similar language and culture covered the majority of europe right from the urals to ireland till around the time of the romans. They traded amongst themselves (and others, including africans, there is a good deal of evidence of the exchange of goods and ideas) fought among one another etc.

The Basques are an altogether different and fascinating bunch. They and the Finns I believe have languages that dont seem to share roots with those of the rest of the european languages. I have come across stuff that suggests that the basques were always fiercley independant and seem to have managed to keep language ahd culture more or less intact since the very beginnings of human movements into the area.

If you have anything more to share on them i would love to know.

love and life
paul

Messages In This Thread

First Kill the Language, Then the Culture
Give Thanhks Fyahman
Give Thanhks to dih writer!; Tanks fih read it *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com