HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Writers Back African Languages

At this point, many Diasporians don’t want to mingle with Continentals. And Continentals are not effective working together, combating foes together, be united, work in urgency, dedication and high quality. The reality is that no one on both camps wants to make a difference. Speaking an African language is voluntary, and obviously does not appeal too many. I suspect if a new colonial language started to be used, most Africans would choose it on purpose. It brings up the issue of the 'colonial conditioning' that of brother Ayinde spoke about.

Is it up to the individual to know an African language and a culture, and can he be criticized for his choice? And should being born in Africa has to do with the stimulation of the exploration of an African language, religion, and culture? Probably 90% of Hispanics, Asians, and Arabs who are currently in the U.S were not born there. However, that does not stop them from traveling to their homelands for vacation to see for themselves what their home countries is about, and they try to learn their maternal tongues, enjoy the musical styles of the countries they come form. So the most important fact that needs to be stated here is that there are opportunities in Africa for Diasporians that do not currently exist abroad. Indigenous cultures are over abundant there, that are big demand for self-claimed Afrocentrists and Panafricanists.

Because I have a Guyanese friend, I know for instance that Africans in Guyana are now after so long seeing African movies. They are now becoming more aware of their cultural heritage, and I am sure that the day will come when most of them will have this urge to go back to Africa to live that life. But I think most of them will like to come back to a much more stable Africa and I am not looking for an argument here...

B.K

Messages In This Thread

Writers Back African Languages
Bantu Kelani
Re: Bantu Kelani
Re: Correction!!!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com