Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Bantu Kelani
In Response To: Bantu Kelani ()

Mbote (hotep) brother Aja! I didn’t give much time to come in forums lately. I apologize for my late reply. To answer your question I say the Democratic Republic of Congo (former Zaire) is the country’s Belgian masters once inhabited. Thus French is the colonial language we use. Mobutu Sese Seko ran the country for 32 years and he had the need for “federalism” in Zaire. Because Lingala was spoken along the Congo River and Kinshasa, which is the capital and is singularly where the country’s rich live, he immediately set out to expand the language in all the provinces in Zaire. But the Eastern parts of the country continue to use Swahili. The West Congolese is ’Bantu’ and the East Congo is dramatically of ’Nilo-Saharan’ population. The Swahili is the language of the East.

Soukous’s vocabulary borrows much Lingala. But some Koffi Olomide, Werrasson, and J.P Mpiana are in Swahili. Music is a great intro to a language and a culture. The Congolese Soukous is usually quite beautiful and deal with matters of love and life!

B.K

Messages In This Thread

Writers Back African Languages
Re: Writers Back African Languages
Bantu Kelani
Re: Correction!!!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com