HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Writers Back African Languages

Much thanks for that reply. I think you raised some very important points in your post, that could even be expanded upon.

I also believe Afrika will continue to be embroiled in conflict, stupidity, anarchy and disaster until Afrikans collectively wake up to the realization that they are fighting a losing battle against the oppressors’ vantage point in the “current set-up of things”: the usage of foreign languages in Afrika as official platforms for communication, education and organization. Afrikans are trapped in the cultures of foreign peoples and it will only take time (and really WILL take a lot of time!), work and dedication to reverse that trend of things so that Afrikans can confidently rid themselves of the diseases of brainwash education, colonial mentality, inferiority complex and negative self-perception.

WE Afrikans have to wake up so that we could, with clear and not with foggy minds, address the complicated issues perpetually plaguing OUR continent for the last many hundreds of years. As expressed in most of my posts here (and as Europeans or European leaders have experienced and know), I believe no society can succeed in any significant form if perpetually set up in the cultural trappings of another, for that could also be termed “colonization”. Language is an entire giant abstract cultural institution on its own, a winding labyrinth where anyone can easily get lost at anytime. I think language is one very powerful component of culture that is seldom discussed in that context and, I suspect, deliberately ignored in the face of Afrika’s plight, as Afrika gets silently plundered.

One quotation from the preceding post that I think really says it all, albeit rather figuratively, is:

~
“Prof Herbert Chimhundu … called on Africans to rid themselves of the notion that English ‘unites’ people from diverse backgrounds. “Does everybody think that Zimbabweans are united by English? Are Mozambicans united by Portuguese?” …”
~

Indeed!! How can Portuguese and English unite Mozambicans and Zimbabweans together, when English alone is the language that divided and still divides Zimbabwe? How could that be, when it has become clear to us that English remains parked in the devil’s tool shed and is used to divide, subdivide and conquer feeble Afrikan mentalities in Zimbabwe over the Land Issue?… Or when English remains the toy used to separate so-called “educated” Afrikans from those Afrikans that are EXPECTED TO BE CONSIDERED “un-educated”, “filthy”, “dirty” or “un-civilized” (at least going by the English people’s standards)?

What next, Afrika???

Messages In This Thread

Writers Back African Languages
Bantu Kelani
Re: Bantu Kelani
Re: Correction!!!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com