HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: IN DEFENCE OF MENELIK II

To begin with, rasdavidsimmonds asked I if there were people living in Ethiopia at the time of Moses, and if yes, what commandments they were living under. Yes there were people and they had been living by the culture which had given birth to philosophies like MAAT which were found in Ancient Egypt. Moses in his youth was a student in this Afrika. Some say that his laws and books of the Old Testament which were claimed to be accurately reproduced when ‘God inspired scribes’ wrote the Bible, are but distortions of the Egyptian ‘Book of the Dead.’

On Sunday I man made a post which constituted my second shot at conquering the mountain which is Oromorality. I did not realise when I wrote that Oromorality had already posted a discourse on Cushitic origins so some of what I said either became a repetition or a lesser version of the greater truth. But at least it was a confirmation of what is true. Only later did I read Oromorality post on Cushitic origins.

I am touched. As I stagger I cannot help but feel the warmth of the rising sun which is Oromorality. Did the light of this sun really serve to make I & I aware of an ‘Oromo-reality?’ Are I & I Rastas from foreign truly ignorant of an oppression of non-Abyssinians by a Semitisation and Amharisation. I & I still maintain that the Almighty I Selassie I know all things best. So I & I continue to try to find malicious intent and distortion of I-story by aliens to try and discredit the King of Kings. It may be true that today false notions of Amhara superiority and ignorance of their Afrikan past is rife in the ranks of the Empire. Even the Orthodox Church might not be as pure as it used to be. Amharisation and Semitisation did not necessarily BEGIN under Haile Selassie. Remember also how even then Selassie I did not operate in a vacuum where he had absolute control; His Majesty had to contend with powerful Rases, he even had to FIGHT in order to access to the throne. One thing … remember that Selassie I was always an advocate of ONE Afrika. Perhaps it is like I said before that in the same way as Shaka Zulu amalgamated various peoples in South Afrika (some of whom did not even put up any resistance to absorption by the Zulu Empire) to build a strong defensible nation (and was called a savage conquerer and a war loving people by White His-storians), so perhaps Abyssinia was a unification of the last independent peoples of Afrika and they too may now be victims of propagandist his-storians who made up stories of savagery…

So even with new found Oromoreality I & I will still stand up to speak in defence of even Menelik II, who fought AGAINST colonialism:

‘In 1876 when that arch murderer, voluptuary and lover of good things to eat, Leopold II, King of the Belgians, took away the rich territory of the Congo from it’s owner Tipoo Tib, he started a rush of the European powers that in less than 30 years took away nearly all of Afrika from its original owners.

At that time Italy was too exhausted from her long struggle for independence against Austria and the Pope to reach out for any territory in Afrika. In 1869 when the Suez Canal was opened however, Rubattino, an Italian steamship company had leased the port of Assab on the Red Sea from the Sultan of Raheita as a coaling station. In March 1870, Rubattino bought the port outright for $9 440.

Ten years later, the Italian government, spurred by the rich loot being taken from Afrika by Leopold and others, began to have Afrikan aspirations. They recalled the vast empire that Rome once held in Afrika. Accordingly the government gave Rubattino $43 200 for Assab and placed it under her flag.

Most of the land along the Red Sea, though worthless for agriculture, is of high strategic value. It lies on the route to India, England’s most prized possession. England therefore, highly mistrustful of the entry of any other power in the region, made strong protest. So did Egypt and Turkey, who owned territory there. It is notable that at this time the only friend that Italy had in East Afrika was Ethiopia. Finally, after much negotiation, British objections were overcome and those of Egypt and Turkey ignored.

On July 5, 1882, Italy formally placed Assab under the Italian crown. This was the first colony she had had in Afrika since the days of the Caesars.

Her appetite was now whetted; Italy reached out for Massowah, a port with a rich trade with the interior and Europe and Asia since the time of Cleopatra. This time England was much more cordial: she was being beaten by the Mahdi, the Great Negro Prophet of the Soudan and she welcomed the presence of another white power. Italy was hence allowed to grab Massowah from Egypt. Encouraged, Italy continued to acquire territory along the Red Sea by tactics which are mostly dubious until she had nearly 40 000 square miles. This she consolidated into the colony of Erithrea – 45 374 square miles in 1890.

Italy’s next acquisition was in Somaliland, where she took under her flag 245 000 square miles, the grater part of which 190 000 square miles was ceded by England. For the remainder she paid $ 72 000 to the Sultan of Zanzibar.

Italy went to war with Turkey in 1911 – 12 and from this Moslem power took Tripoli – 360 000 square miles - and Cyrenica – 75 340 square miles. These were made into the Italian colony of Libya with 580 000 square miles.

Thus in 30 years Italy ‘acquired’ 870 534 square miles – a territory one fourth the size of the United States and six times larger than herself. The vast empire was however mostly arid, rocky, arid, broiling desert and worth less than a few acres of suburban New York. At best it was a liability. This was why Italy had been permitted by the other powers to have it. England as was said gave Italy most of the Somaliland territory and when Britain cedes any territory you may be sure that it is absolutely worthless and a burden.

BUT THERE WAS METHOD IN ITALY’S MADNESS: COUNT CRISPI, THE MUSSOLINI OF 1894, SAW AGAIN A GREAT ITALIAN EMPIRE STRETCHING FROM TUNIS ACROSS THE WAY FROM SICILY AND DOWN THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE RED SEA. TWO OF THESE WORTHLESS COLONIES, ERITHREA AND SOMALILAND TOUCHED ETHIOPIA, THE FIRST ON THE NORTHEAST, THE SECOND ON THE SOUTHEAST. STANDING ON HIS HOT, BARREN ROCKS, THE ROMAN WOLF NOW CAST GREEDY EYES UPWARDS TO WHERE HIS RICH, FERTILE NEIGHBOUR ETHIOPIA LAY IN THE COOL, WELL WATERED MOUNTAINS. EUROPE HAD GRABBED ALL OF AFRIKA SAVE THIS PRIZE. HE LICKED HIS CHOPS GREEDILY. HE WOULD FINISH THE JOB.

Going back to 1885 when Italy had squatted to the northeast of Ethiopia she had made it clear that she intended to annex Ethiopa by simply marching into the territory and taking it as England, France, Belgium and Portugal had done in other parts of Africa.

At the time Ethiopia was in civil war with an usurper, John the son of Thedore fighting against Menelik II, the rightful heir. Agostini Depretis the Mussolini of the day, seized the opportunity to invade Ethiopia and annexed a choice portion adjoining Erithrea. It was Menelik’s land, but the robbery made John uneasy. After Menelik had been beaten his turn would be next.

Leaving his rival John, Menelik marched against the Italians. Several skirmishes followed with Menelik and sometimes the Italians the victor. On Jan. 14 1887 Menelik captured Count Salembini, who had penetrated into the interior on a supposed scientific mission and held him as a pledge the Italians would quit his territory. They refused.

The Ethiopians were commanded by Ras Alula. They marched against the Italian force which was made up of 512 whites and several thousand natives under Col. Cristofori. They met at Dogali on 26 January 1887. Surrounded by the Ethiopians, the Italians were thoroughly defeated , the only survivors being 82 wounded. The remaining Italians retreated to the coast leaving behind their supplies. The moment seemed favourable to push the Italians from East Africa, but they contented themselves with occupying the strategic posts. For the release of Salembini, Menelik demanded and obtained the release of a large supply of ammunition that Italy had captured at sea.

The defeat at Dogali by a black nation aroused deep anger and humiliation in Italy. Depretis was driven from office. Italy, burning for revenge, voted $ 6 000 000 for the war and sent out 12 000 well equipped white troops, a large army in those days. Supplemented with 13 000 black troops, the Italian commander, General San Marzano entered Ethiopia in December 1887, determined to conquer it once for all. In February, 1888, he captured Saati and built a railroad linking it with Massowah. But when a clash seemed near, the Ethiopian army suddenly retreated. The reason was that their old foes the Dervishes, or Mahommedans had invaded Ethiopia. The Italians, perhaps not knowing this and thinking it a trap, retreated to their territory also. But they returned in May 1888, and were defeated at Saganeiti. Again they quitted Ethiopian territory.

These three failures made Italy realize why England and the other European powers hadn’t gobbled Ethiopia. Britain it is true, had invaded Ethiopia in 1867 as far as the mountain fortress of Magdala to punish the mad king, Theodore, for his seizure of English missionaries. This had been done, however with the general consent of the Ethiopians and Britain had retired immediately taking with her some priceless Ethiopian manuscripts and the Kebra Negast or Ethiopian book of Kings, which had first been written in 400 B.C.

The Italians now attempted to gain their ends by craft and diplomacy. John and Menelik still being at war, they decided to play one against the other after the manner in which Cortez with a handful of men had seized Mexico. General Barateri, the Italian commander visited Menelik and offered him arms to regain the throne of his ancestors. Similar overtures were made to John. Both accepted but with little intention of keeping their promises. Italy complains bitterly of the lack of Ethiopians’ faith yet it was just a case of a lack of faith on either side: ruse against ruse with the Afrikans being the trickier of the two.

John and Menelik thought themselves justified when they saw the Italians nibbling at their territory. Finally when Barateri permitted the pillaging of Adowa by native troops, Menelik realized that no confidence whatsoever could be placed on him. What the Italians did not know, moreover, was that their aggression had driven John and Menelik together and that the two had made a treaty, whereby Menelik should be John’s heir. To bind the bargain, John’s son, the Ras Area, married Menelik’s daughter, Zaiditu or Judith.

Soon after John was killed in battle with the Mahdi, a negro prophet, who had driven England from the Soudan. Ras Mangascha, John’s son claimed the Ethiopian throne and civil war broke out once again.

Count Crispi, the then premier, saw his opportunity. Like Mussolini, he had a dream of an Italian empire that stretched from Sicily to the Straits of Babel-Mandeb and taking in Tunis, Egypt, the Soudan and Ethiopia. Taking advantage of the disorder he marched into Ethiopia and at the same time sent a mission headed by Count Antonelli to hail Menelik as the rightful sovereign and to make a treaty with him.

This was the treaty known as Outchale in Ethiopian and Ucciali in Italian signed in 1889. By its terms Italy lent Ethiopia 4 000 000 gold francs ($ 800 000) a half of which was to be in arms and ammunition. (Are these some the arms Oromorality speak of? … Used for oppression or to free up the throne..?) Italy was given control of the customs at Harrar, a rich coffee province. In case of non – payment Harrar would be ceded to Italy. MENELIK WAS PRESSED BY MANGASCHA TO ACCEPT THESE SEVERE TERMS.

Italy announced to the European powers that Ethiopia was her protectorate. King Humbert of Italy sent 38 000 rifles to his new “son” Menelik, who replied with a slice of land known as Asmara.

In the next 4 years there was still continued, a little Italian aggression on Ethiopian territory. Italy justified herself by deciding that she was dealing with an “inferior” people.

Menelik was seized with an ambition to modernize the country in around 1892; like the Japanese were doing. He instituted a postal service and stuck coins and stamps bearing his own effigy. Italy objected strongly to this.

Then Menelik began to make treaties with Germany, Russia and Turkey. Italy exploded in anger. She claimed that Ethiopia had agreed through Outchale to make all negotiations with the other powers through her. Menelik was shocked. He pointed out that Act 17 of the treaty contained the Amharic word “itchalloutchal” which means “may if he pleases” use Italian diplomacy. The Italians insisted that in their copy the word was “must” use Italian diplomacy. Menelik took the treaty to leading scholars in Europe and Afrika. They agreed that he was correct and had not made his country a protectorate of Italy.
On December 18, 1895, the Marquis du Rudini, ex-Premier, admitted in the Italian parliament that Menelik was right.

Menelik, eager to maintain his long friendship with King Humbert of Italy, wrote him: “I realize that the Amharic text and the Italian version of this article 17 differ. But in signing it I stipulated that Ethiopian affairs could be treated by Italian diplomacy on my invitation. I have never promised to have it done by Italy alone. Your Majesty ought to understand that no independent power could ever make such a concession. If you have the honour of your ally Ethiopia at heart you will change this.”

Italy, realizing what it would mean to her prestige in Europe, if she yielded to this black, and as she deemed it, barbarian people, replied through her envoy: “King Humbert cannot yield. It would hurt the pride and dignity of his people.”

Menelik remembering his country’s seven thousand years of independence, flashed back, “If you have your dignity, so have we.” The Empress Taitu, warrior wife of Menelik added, “You wish to make us your pupils, but that will never be.”

“Your Majesty,” said the Italian envoy, “this means war.”

“Then let it come,” replied Menelik firmly. “We cannot permit our integrity as the oldest Christian nation to be questioned, nor the right to govern ourselves in absolute independence.”

Menelik’s first action was to return the amount of the loan with three times the stipulated interest. He took care however, to keep the arms and ammunition that his estranged “brother”, Humbert had given him.

Crispi immediately made preparations for the conquest of Ethiopia. His parliament voted $ 8 000 000 for the war. At the same time he sent heavy shipments of arms to Mangascha and all the chiefs hostile to Menelik. Italy’ already beaten back 3 times, was cautious about attacking Menelik’ however, and sent an envoy to him, asking him to yield. Menelik like Haile Selassie I, pledged to fight to the last man rather than surrender.

DURING THIS CRISIS MENELIK DISPLAYED THE STATEMANSHIP WHICH HAS PLACED HIM AMONG THE FOREMOST LEADERS OF MODERN TIMES. HE HAD CONQUERED THE GREATEST PART OF ETHIOPIA AND REDUCED THE CHIEFS TO HIS WILL. MANY OF THEM WERE STILL ANGRY WITH HIM. BUT ASSEMBLING HIS MESSENGERS HE SENT THEM OVER THE LAND TO ALL THE KNGS AND CHIEFS URGING THEM TO UNITE AGAINST A FOE WHO WAS GOING TO TAKE FROM THEM EVEN SUCH A MEASURE OF INDEPENDENCE AS THEY ENJOYED UNDER HIM. DID THEY WANT TO SUBMIT TO THE WHITE MAN WHO HAD SIEZED AND ENSLAVED THE REST OF AFRIKA? ALL PLEDGED THEIR ALLEIGANCE. MANGASCHA, MENELIK’S CHIEF FOE ASKED TO BE PERMITTED TO LEAD THE ATTACK: “I WILL DRIVE OUT THE ITALIANS WITH THE VERY BULLETS THEY GAVE ME TO KILL YOU”…BY THE TIME ‘THE BATTLE OF ADOWA” WAS OVER, THE ETHIOPIAN EMPIRE HAD MANAGED TO SUBDUE HER FOE AND LIVED FOR ANOTHER FORTY YEARS, UNMOLESTED BY THE IMPERIALISTIC AMBITIONS OF THE WEST.” – J.A. Rogers.

I & I always remind ones of the presence of an alien, even in our his-story books, that might distort facts and portray our saviours as devils.

Messages In This Thread

HAILE SELASSIE I IS THE RASTAFARI MOVEMENT........
Re: HAILE SELASSIE I IS THE RASTAFARI MOVEMENT....
MARCUS GARVEY TOO
ayinde?
cut out the root n the tree ago wither *NM*
Re: ayinde?
i wasnt talkin bout the site but the self
that would be illegal!
Re: MARCUS GARVEY TOO
Re: I totally agree with you.........! *NM*
!!!!
Re: !!!!
Re: !!!!
oromo who joined amahara oppressor were rewarded
Re: oromo who joined amahara oppressor were reward
Re: oromo who joined amahara oppressor were reward
Re: Oromorality
Re: Oromorality
rastafari movement and 'religious' deception

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com