HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

I am from creation too!

Here is my two cents on this; I have a different view.

In my view Rasta (a state of consciousness realized through our Black African ancestors) and 'Ras' (Wisdom also realized through our Black African Ancestors) existed from time immemorial. This also means it was certainly there before Solomon. Even the term 'Ras' was around long before Solomon's time. We all know the significance that Haile Selassie had to may blacks who were colonized in the West, so I am not explaining that again here.

People's knowledge can increase; reasoning is a way to work out things and to share ideas. Yes, we should try to enlighten each other and not force beliefs down each other's throats.

Here are my other views:

Every great person I know made mistakes. I am yet to meet or research one person who never made a mistake. In my view even Haile Selassie made mistakes. I disagree with several things he did. One day I could even discover I was wrong about some of his positions. The point here is that I do not believe Haile Selassie was perfect and I do not have to believe people are perfect to hold them in high esteem. This earth is a stage for working out stuff so obviously people, even the best of then, make mistakes. It is what you do when you discover your errors that will be the true measure of your character.

This crazy notion some have that people must proclaim everything Haile Selassie said and did was absolutely correct, or that he is 'God' (whatever they mean by that), will not fly with I. Many Rastafarians do not accept that, and no one set of Black African Rastas can force their belief on all Black Africans, including those who claim to identify with Rastafari. I will hold to what I discern is right, while being true to the founding goals of the Rastafari Movement. If others respectfully have a different view, I cool with that.

It is not disrespectful to disagree with someone. Selassie did things which in his view were right or politically expedient, but in my view were not correct. Plain and simple. It is 'I&I' doing the discerning for myself in this time, and it is my research, evaluations, and what I think on these issues that will ultimately be my guide.

When I was a child I did learn from the elder Rastafarian in my community that natural living, respect for life, African Liberation/Redemption, and Reasoning things out were the hallmarks of being a Rasta. I was cool with that then and now.

I hold Marcus Garvey and many other elders in very, very high regard, and in my view they made errors. I don't add their names to every post or publicly proclaim my undying love for any of them. That is not my way. To some people that is how to show love. Good for them. However, I am cool letting my deeds and reasoning demonstrate my respect.

I will never publicly sing praises to Haile Selassie or anyone, just to make some people feel good. They can respect my right to my views, and if they think I am wrong, bring the reasoning or proof. I respect their right to their way, and if I think they are wrong and I feel to engage them, I will bring what I have.

Messages In This Thread

What does "Rasta from creation" mean?
Re: What does "Rasta from creation" mean?
I am from creation too!
Re: I am from creation too!
Re: I am from creation too!.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com