HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Divisions among Rastafarians

The divisions among those who claim to be Rastafarians are no different to that of all other people with the little exception of a common material poverty and the symbolic dreadlocks worn by many.

Many say that one does not have to be dreadlocks in order to be a Rastafarian but outside of how one carries their hair there are no unique set of qualities that all Rastafarians agree upon in order to determine who is or who is not a Rastafarian.

So for all practical purposes I am a Rastafarian although I do not have dreadlocks as many Rastafarians who visit me have seen.

Throughout various Rastafarian Websites, the differences among Rastafarians are many and quite obvious. The minor ones about differences in interpretations I would leave, as they do not pose major obstacles. However, the big ones are relevant as they pertain to the issues of subliminal and sometimes deliberate racism.

There are those who are aware of our social degradation as a result of slavery and racism so they respect the efforts of Marcus Garvey while embracing the wider writings and teachings of Haile Selassie I. The ability to marry the two main characters in 'modern' Rastafari is born out of real experiences of oppression coupled with a general awareness of world history inclusive of African history.

Those who are conscious of our most remote history and choose a lifestyle that keeps them detached from matter knows that Rastafari is the original wisdoms realized through natural experiences. But applying these wisdoms call for a refined understanding of social interactions. The issues surrounding racism and gender discrimination are always relevant as they are the major obstacles that prevent most people from realizing these ancient wisdoms.

There is another group of people who embrace the words of Haile Selassie I and are subliminally against discussions about what Marcus Garvey tried to achieve during the earlier period of African abuses, much of which still persists today.

Marcus Garvey remains a general reminder to many in the Rastafari Movement of the African struggles and some conveniently leave him out of the picture as they seek to project their brand of Rastafarianism.

Those who conveniently omit Marcus Garvey are of two categories:

Some are Whites in economic poverty that hold on to the idea of their privileged social positions and want that to remain as they seek to pull blacks under their wings to elevate their own social prestige. Then there are Christian types of all races who were nurtured on a brand of religion that generally downplayed the role of Africans in spiritual development. They rarely ever discuss the real issues that keep most people divided in favour of popular platitudes of 'one love'. In the Christian pictorial representations of spirituality, White takes the dominant role while evil carries the weight of blackness and omitting the effects of this earlier prejudice cannot break deep-seated racist attitudes.

There is a constant struggle between those who can marry the virtues in the writings of Haile Selassie I with that of Marcus Garvey, and those who wish the blackness to be deemphasized. By playing down the blackness of our ancestors, the mindset of White superiority is constantly nurtured and the words and intensions of some White players go unchallenged because of the general unconscious acceptance of their superiority.

It is obvious to me that some are bent on keeping the Black community heavily divided and are about encouraging Blacks to congregate under their authority. Of course they will not say this but they will forever present alternatives, encouraging Blacks to break up and move to areas where they feel they have some form of control.

All of this is understandable and as people congregate and communicate it is always important to investigate and where possible to question the motives of others who do not share your unique experiences.

For who can best define the Black struggle than another Black man and woman who have risen out of the degradation of society. Who Else!

Is the oppression of Blacks over?

Has the issue of reparations been settled?

Are those who wish to repatriate mentally and physically able to do so?

Are Blacks allowed to control their own media for safeguarding their expressions?
Are the only 'good' media and forums those that are under the control of Whites (directly or indirectly)?

Are most Blacks out of economic poverty?

Are the major world powers treating non-white nations with the respect they deserve?

Are we (collectively) out of the gambits of Slavery?

Many Blacks in the bigger nations (with military might) feel that they are somehow superior to Caribbean Blacks and Blacks of other nations. What do you think is responsible for these feelings and attitudes?

We have some serious work ahead of us if we are to build as a collective and those who desire building must ensure that in this new family the foundation is solid.

Messages In This Thread

Divisions among Rastafarians
Re: Divisions among Rastafarians
Yes I , it is an African thing, first and foremost
move up *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com