Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Amid stench of death, poor bear the brunt *LINK*

Gary Younge in Pascalouga, Mississippi
Friday September 2, 2005
The Guardian UK

The journey from Pensacola to Pascalouga starts with a search for petrol and ends with a search for the dead.

Along the way, the smell of damp in Mobile, Alabama, turns to the stench of death from the Gulf Coast. The radio dial flits from call-in shows fielding requests from beleaguered mayors of small hamlets for generators and ice to Baptist preachers promising God's wrath. But for many here, it seems as though his will has already been done.

The entrance to Pascalouga reveals crushed homes and dilapidated stores alongside queues for petrol and food.
"I've got enough supplies for another two days but I don't know what I'm going to do after that," said Sarah Jackson as she entered her second hour in a queue outside Wal-Mart.

"I keep telling myself I'm lucky because it could have been worse, but with each day I feel less and less lucky."

Officials on the Gulf Coast say the emphasis has moved from search and rescue to bag and tag as emergency rescue workers cut their way through to Gulfport and Biloxi to find the death toll rising steadily.

"This is far worse than any of the worst case scenarios we thought we would ever have to deal with", said one law enforcement official from Long Beach.

Ten people have so far been reported dead in Jackson County, home to Pascalouga.

"The magnitude of it is mind-boggling," a Mississippi congressman, Gene Taylor, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. "I'm guessing tens of thousands of homes are gone."

While everyone here was hard hit by Katrina, not everyone was affected in the same way. The wealthy lost property on the seafront. But the lives and the livelihoods of the poor without cars to escape, sturdy homes to protect them and insurance to fall back on, were the most vulnerable.

In one of the poorest states in the country, where black people earn half as much as white people, this has taken on a racial dimension

"People who live in poverty and don't have the means to evacuate were definitely more likely to perish," said Michael Matthews, an African American who was nudging his car slowly up the four-hour queue for petrol in Lucedale.

"The president is flying down here tomorrow in a plane, to tell us we can only use 20 gallons of gas. I think they are taking advantage."

In Yvonne Trailer park in Lucedale, residents hold out little hope of speedy government help.

"I don't think we'll see any of that here," said Raybelle Perrymon, sitting in the shade on her wheelchair, stricken by polio. She is an elderly black woman cared for by a younger white man, Charles Childens, who shares her trailer and her Kools.

She cannot get her disability benefit because the banks are closed. That means she cannot pay her rent or buy food. "We need help, but I don't think we're going to get any, until everybody else has gotten theirs," she said. Mr Childens nodded. "We need something to eat," he said. "We need it pretty soon."

Lives, like the trees, have been uprooted, and some have returned home to find almost nothing as it was.

"Look down," Maureen Burnett told a New York Times reporter as she searched for her mother in Pass Christian. "See that kitchen table? That's her table ... the house ain't there."

Pascalouga residents expressed frustration with the relief effort, complaining it was too slow in doling out provisions and information. "We can't wait for the kind of help they are giving," said Sharon Jones, sitting on her porch.

"The lines [for handouts] are ridiculous. You need to wait five or six hours for water and ice and that's all the authorities are giving. I've got food for one more day; after that I'll have to pray."

Ms Jones said her mother had lost everything.

"They keep telling us to call Fema [the Federal Emergency Management Agency]. When we try to call we can't get through; she's just lucky I'm here."

Petrol curbs are getting tighter and last night people could only buy $30 (£16) worth of fuel. Many petrol stations are closed, forcing people like Rover Furnas to make a 40-mile round trip to fill up his car.

"This situation has had a severe mental effect on everybody, but as for a physical effect, well, that has hurt some a lot more than others," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,1561386,00.html

Messages In This Thread

Hurricane Katrina Exposes Racism And Inequality *LINK*
Re: Hurricane Katrina Exposes Racism And Inequalit *LINK*
Venezuela Offers $1M, Oil, Food and Equipment *LINK*
10,000 body bags on hand?
a declaration of war. *NM*
Amid stench of death, poor bear the brunt *LINK*
Watch the money *LINK*
Blind to History *LINK*
Re: Blind to History *LINK*
'George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People.' *LINK*
Re: 'George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People.'
Rice Defends Bush *LINK*
Re: Rice Defends Bush
Black fury at Bush over rescue delay *LINK*
Re: Hurricane Katrina Exposes Racism And Inequalit
Re: Watch the Money *LINK*
Profiteering on Disaster *LINK*
"Let the good times roll. Again." *LINK*
Bush Strafes New Orleans, Where's Huey Long? *LINK*
Desperation in Anarchy *LINK*
Criminal Plot Underway in the New Orleans Swamp *LINK*
Re: Criminal Plot Underway in the New Orleans Swam *LINK*
Hammer and nail *LINK*
Of Disasters, Natural and Otherwise *LINK*
The Two Americas *LINK*
Linking Al-Qaeda to Katrina *LINK*
A truer definition of terrorism *LINK*
New Orleans, déja vu! *LINK*
"Show us what you got.." *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com