HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Zimbabwe calls for return of white farmers

I am well acquainted with the origin of the word peasant thank you very much. And I am offended that you would apply this to the Rastafarian. We are children of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

If peasants are such a big deal, then explain why they are always no more than cannon-fodder for both sides of the ruling classes vying for ultimate control. This has nothing to do with colonialism, in many pre-colonial times the lot of the common folk was at the mercy of the ruling classes. It has nothing to do with oppression, some people are given to man's vices, drunkenness, dissipation, drugs etc, and then poverty comes in and they are selling themselves to those who have striven to improve themselves or they try and ascend the food chain by other unsavoury means, also involving vice.

I am particularly critical of Zimbabwe's Rastafarian community in this regard. Always complaining about "the system" yet doing little to improve themselves. I am trying to cultivate a new outlook with my website, setting the trend as it were for the direction that I think Rastafari should take.

I note that you haven't a clue what I mean by elder. That cannot be helped, you are not mwana wemumusha medu. Likewise, you cannot expect me to swallow your concept of elder, can you?

You talk of guidance and so on. Mugabe has guided Zimbabwe from Five-year developement plans, to ESAP I and ESAP II, them ZIMPREST, then something whose name I can't remember and now the new catchword is ECONOMIC TURNAROUND. This is what it has yielded.

1. There is no fuel in the country. The problem dates back to mismanagement in NOCZIM, the state-owned fuel monopoly. The minister responsible got transferred to another department, but noting was done to save Noczim. Later, Libya stepped in, ostensibly as one African nation helping out another. But it emerged that Libya wanted land in Zimbabwe and agricultural produce. They stipulated that this to be export quality stuff. Of course, there is no such thing any more, and the Libyans left in a huff. Since then, Zimbabwe has been for sale to the Chinese, Malaysians etc.

2. Our dollar is now around 40000 to the UK pound. It was $1 =£2 at independence.

3. Our most lucrative and strategic farming areas saw disruptions. The Kintyre etstate for example supplied some 20% of our wheat, the rest came from Argentina and Australia ( Zimbabwe's climate limits the quantity and quality of wheat we can grow) Kintyre estate was converted in to Tongograra Farm ( MDC AND WHITES KEEP OUT!! the placard says) and hordes of people moved on to the fields and built shacks. One minister later tried to evict them, but he was overturned by the then Minister of Information and Publicity ( how an Information minister can exercise such powers, well, only in Zimbabwe)Last week, they were victims of the "clean up" exercise, which means that like many of the "peasants" put on the commercial farms as part of "land reform", they got played. Meanwhile, the erstwhile owners of the commercial farms are being courted back.

3. The Mugabe regime has been denying that there is widespread hunger. Two years ago, it became law that all meteorological reports had to pass through the President's Office before being aired on TV etc. Now at least 4m are in need of food. Given that the people are supposed to have siezed the farms some 7 years ago, you would think by now there would be so much food.

4. There is a rapid de-industrialisation of the whole country.

5. Foreign currency is scarce. The government is broke, there is nothing left to mortgage to the Chinese, Malaysians etc.

6. Aids has decimated whole families. The number of people dying weekly is quoted in thousands.

8. Basic commodities are now beyond the reach of most families. There are a few lucky ones, such as mine because I am abroad and can send money. But they are surrounded by desperate poverty.

9. There is no freedom of expression for the common person. A wrong remark on the bus can get you taken away never to be seen again. Me, they can't get me now because I have made a lot of noise. We have a saying in our language, mbudzi kuzvarira pane vanhu hnuzi nditandirwe mapere ( the goat will give birth in the presence of human beings so as to keep the hyenas away). That is the only thing keeping media practitioners alive, but the common man can get beaten, or taken away for so much as showing the wrong facial expression when a report comes on about how wonderful Zimbabwe is under the leadership of the great Mugabe. Last week, a law was passed banning any complaints or expressions of contempt for Chinese imports. I haven't actually seen the law gazetted, but I know a few people who got beaten up by the security agents for doing just that. Sometimes having a copy of Financial Gazette or the Independent can get you beaten up. Or wearing red and white, the MDC colours.

Still think Mugabe is a wise elder and we should all be held in awe of him? Would this sort of thing work in Trinidad?

Messages In This Thread

Zimbabwe calls for return of white farmers *NM* *LINK*
Re: Zimbabwe calls for return of white farmers *LINK*
Re: Zimbabwe calls for return of white farmers *LINK*
ZIMBABWE: A HISTORY OF STRONG AGRICULTURE *LINK*
Re: ZIMBABWE: A HISTORY OF STRONG AGRICULTURE
Galang yu way, cracka.
TALLER AFRICANS IN SOUTH AFRICA MILLION YEARS *LINK*
Re: TALLER AFRICANS IN SOUTH AFRICA MILLION YEARS
Re: TALLER AFRICANS IN SOUTH AFRICA MILLION YEARS
"No tears shall be shed for their blood" *LINK*
Re: "No tears shall be shed for their blood"
allah, why are you hear *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com