HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: White 'Rastas' should reason on racism

"At the same time, when whites "assist" black efforts by joining those groups . . . well I&I already overstand what contradictions, tensions and problems this creates."

* well, by assist i don't necessarily mean full-fledged members. assistance can be monetary, or another way where the decision making process is left in the hands of a black run organization. the problem with that approach is that the sensibility of whites that is catered to when there is a need for monetary assistance. i can see how an organization with strong leanings towards black self-determination could be a turn off to whites(with the typical mindset). so it seems as if a black organization could be forced with watering down the message to cater to white prejudices(which is where the $ is).

i think reasoning on this topic shows some of the reasons why perhaps the message of black self-determination in Rastafari has been watered down over time. a "balance" has needed to be struck when appealing to larger white audiences which hold a collective attitude that in many ways is counter-productive to the interests of black self-determination.

for the situation to be rectified, whites would need to give money believing in the purpose of an organization working towards repatriation or reparations while relinquishing the need to have a controlling interest. i think this is very hard for us whites to do - there are not enough white voices who are attempting to overstand the dynamics from a black perspective. in many ways whites and Rastafari do not mix if one equates Rastafari with black self-determination.

at the same time, whites in Rastafari seem to tend to be a bit more sensitive to the issues confronting Africa and her children, so I feel(personally) it is important to try to reach these whites who associate with Rastafari (I am one of them).

Education is key - but the collective ignorance of my people many times militates against enlightenment. The road is rocky!

Messages In This Thread

When whites go to ET and Rasta Elders stay behind
Re: When whites go to ET and Rasta Elders stay beh
most people in the states could go if they wanted
Re: most people in the states could go if they wan
Those who would rather talk than make progressive
Re: Those who would rather talk than make progress
We will keep that short
Re: We will keep that short
Re: We will keep that short
Who jealous of who?
Re: Who jealous of who?
So let's give guidance to the white "Rasta"
We will see how many white "Rastas"
Re: So let's give guidance to the white "Rasta" *LINK*
360, is the I a member of CURE? *NM*
no, I am not. *NM*
Re: no, I am not.
Re: no, I am not.
White 'Rastas' should reason on racism *LINK*
Awo! Good Reasoning. *NM*
Self-Determination
Re: Self-Determination
Baba Marcus how does the I Sight this
Re: Baba Marcus how does the I Sight this
To Rob Afreeka
Morten, stop the MISINFORMATION
Re: Morten

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com