HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The other aspect of Pan-African

It may be difficult for some to grasp that conditions for many Africans in so-called rich nations are desperate too (maybe not as extreme like in parts of Africa). It is not as if Africans are fairly accommodated in so-called rich nations. Even in the Caribbean, Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia there are places where Blacks are starving, or just a meal or two away from starvation. There are communities where daily violence is like living in a war zone. Off course, we who reside there have to make our impact from where we are first. You should already know the situation with the few Blacks who are well off. Many are not as yet interested in increasing their awareness. Many are novices in materialism and are like children with new toys. Apart from the few of us who take an active interest and support development on the continent, many Blacks and Whites in the west are not mentally equipped to extend help to anyone. Africans on the continent have to start looking at resources that are already available in Africa, and not expect a paternalistic community to solve root problems. They too have to embrace more of Africa beyond the boundaries of nationality and ethnicity. Africans abroad draw from the rich legacy of ALL of Africa to build character and creativity, and I suspect that even Africans on the continent need to do the same.

Most of these desperate situations in PARTS of Africa are as a result of poor governments/leaders in cahoots with Western commercial interest. It is for people there on the ground to realize that and reach out to the wider African community. You said: "They have access to knowledge and freedom..." Having access to knowledge and freedom does not make someone knowledgeable and free. I can similarly say that even Africans on the rich continent of Africa have access to knowledge and freedom, and many do not use it. Well I already alluded to the fact that many continental Africans who are in contact with Africans in the west, do come over with smug arrogance themselves, except when they are desperate. When I was in London many years ago, I used to spend time with a West African nurse, and I was very curious about the many continental Africans I saw in London with Roles Royces. In an hour, standing around Time Square, I counted 20. Back then she explained that Europe had no problem with African politicians and thugs sending their families to reside in Europe to ‘live’ lavishly, where they store the loot they stole from Africa. Africans on the continent do not really expect Africans abroad to invade and remove corrupt leaders. There is enough blame to go all around. Africans outside of the continent do not owe Africans on the continent anything. Most of us did not steal resources and move to the west. We owe ourselves to assist others who are not as fortunate as us (providing we are in a better situation).

I am sure you are aware that Black owned media that are doing better are mostly on this new Internet, and they do not, as yet, heavily impact on the day-to-day lives of the majority of Africans. The white controlled mainstream radio and TV networks are still the major influences.

You said: "You are concerned about continentals helping Diasporans..." Well if continental Africans do not feel that Blacks in the Solomon Islands, Fiji, India and other parts of the world are not worthy to embrace Africa, then it is they who are misguided and misinformed. I certainly do not feel that Blacks outside of Africa are looking to Africa to solve any of their problems. I am saying if some assume that the children of ex-slaves are not worthy to embrace Africa, then they too have work to do on themselves; they too have to expand their awareness.

We will not go down the road of matching wits about how many Blacks from outside the continent of Africa who have also made a major impact on the continent of Africa. The point I am making is that Africans on the continent have to also become better informed about Africans outside of the continent so that relationships are not based on paternalistic attitudes and false superiority complexes, but instead mutual respect.

Messages In This Thread

African People Must Nourish Pan Africanization
Re: African People Must Nourish Pan Africanizatio
Re: African People Must Nourish Pan Africanuizatio
i apologize for "my hypocrisy"
Re: i apologize for "my hypocrisy"
your flattery will not erode my anger
your flattery will not erode my anger
Re: your flattery will not erode my anger
The other aspect of Pan-African
Re: I miss the word "US"
Re: African People Must Nourish Pan Africanization
Pan Africanization Starts With Each Family
Re: Pan Africanization Starts With Each Family
Re: Pan Africanization Starts With Each Family
Pan African Organization Committee
Re: Pan African Organization Committee
Re: Pan African Organization Committee

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com