Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Putting this reasoning in context

Greetings to all,

just a couple of things i would add to this dicussion,

Ayinde you said

"You will have to show where race mixing has ever ended racism, and how it is possible. People can feel free to race mix as they want. However the reality is, no way race mixing can end racism."

I would humbly suggest that this may not be correct on two fronts.

Firstly, on the purely practical level, if enough people were of 'mixed race' then race would be nothing like the issue it is now. If, in 5000 years time everyone is a sort of brown/tan colour due to the constant mixture of asian, ecaucasian, and african groups, then all of this discussion will seem to be a historical curiosity. This is, of course, speculation, but it is sometimes interesting to guess at what the consequences of contemporary trends may be.

Secondly, maybe there is something of a confusion over the levels of analysis that we are using here. Inter-racial relationships (of whatever description) are personal things. The confrontations over issues such as racism that those involved undergoe are personal, intimate, intense. They also dont fit neatly into the much broader discussions that often happen on this board about the GLOBAL issue of race and discrimination. But... i would personally suggest that history teaches us that it is these pesonal interactions that make all of the changes, not the big picture, we will change things by revolution type events. inter-racial relationships (and i am using the term broadly here, not just folk falling in love or sleeping with one another, but including freindships etc as well..) are a grass roots, bottom up reaction to the trends and historical realities that we all deal with. They might not 'end racism', and I think we need to talk a little about what exactly that means as well, but i think people being able to get on with one another on a day to day basis is possibly the best way to start.

but hey, i've been wrong about heaps of things before...

love and life
paul

Messages In This Thread

Race..so now what?
typo
Re: typo
Re: Race..so now what?
lean not pon your own understanding. *NM*
Putting this reasoning in context
Ayinde:
Re: The Myth of a "Multiracial" Black America

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com