Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Tyehimba's article
In Response To: Tyehimba's article ()

"Many have the misconception that Rastafari started in Jamaica in the 1930's, but the reality is that Rasta has its genesis much, much earlier on the continent of Africa, from which all humanity originated."

Tyehimba, I would like to know what you mean by this statement and what is the real purpose of your article as it pertains to the rise of the Movement on the island of Jamaica? How does your perception of Rastafari fits into the cultural integrity of the Movement as it emerged on said island?

I would ask the I when were you first exposed to this irits of Rastafari and how old are you and what gave rise to your opinions on Rastafari as expounded in your article?

I have come to realize that a lot of Ingels from other parts of the Caribbean are intent on removing the impact of the Movement as it emerged and rose up on the island of Jamaica. Are intent on trying to deny the crucial role that Jamaica played in the emergence of this Movement. Are intent on defining and redefining this Movement and it's simple foundations. Are willing to 'refine' this movement to suit their doctrines. To use their intense study of Afrikology, Egyptology, Ethiopianism and that which they like to refer to as Black History.

The history of Rastafari will be found in Jamaica whether we like to admit to that or not, however any sensible person would realize that the simple statement that was first said in Jamaica, that Rasta is from Creation would totally cancel some of these so called intellectual arguments. With simplicity the architects of this Movement instinctively knew that they were establishing a livity that was similiar to that of ancient Habesha(Ethiopia). Similiar to what was practiced in Kemit. Because the architects had not forgotten what was already written upon their DNA. Granted the bible was the only book available to the earlier brethrens and sistren of this Movement as it emerged on the island of Jamaica, we must honour the fact that they were in fact still using writings that were plageurized from ancient texts that would satisfy those consumed by Egyptology.

Calling upon Emperor Haile Selassie I as the Divine God and King of the sons and dawtas of Rastafari is not at all new under the son. Those of us consumed by Egyptology will delight in the fact that they also had the propensity to do the same. Through works and faith, man or woman was deified, became divine and achieved godlike status amongst the people. Usually these individual would already be Kings or Queens. The Christians did the same to Jesus Christ.

When Dougie Mack, Filmore Alvarango and Mortimer Planno visited the Emperor in Ethiopia in 1961, they met with the Abuna Basilios head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and spoke to him of the revelation of H.I.M.'s divinity, he said the Bible could be interpreted that way.

H.I.M. has visited many countries. On his visit to the Caribbean he visited Haiti, Trinidad and Jamaica. Nowhere he has travelled was he met with such warmth as he received from the people of Jamaica. The Rastas always knew who he was to them and why they were witnessing this historic visit. The other folks who were present to witness his arrival and departure were mostly there out of curiousity. They wanted to see what the Rasta God look like. They wanted to see if he was truly God. Many phenomenal things happen that day in Jamaica. And many came away with what their parents might have been quite afraid of. They were inspired by that visit and became a part of the Movement. Some remained skeptical, some were honoured to be a part of such compelling history and prophesy.

We can argue back and forth about the divinity of Emperor Haile Selassie until thy kingdom come. And we can 'refine', define, tweak and fix this tradition to suit our own personal doctrines and agendas but their is no such thing as calling upon Rastafari without including or associating with the divinity of H.I.M. It is an oxymoron to think or write otherwise.

There is also no circumventing of the role Jamaica played where Rastafari/Rasta is concerned. And whether it is out of ignorance or something else which I care not to define, the Istory of this Movement stands firm. What is to be must be. There is nothing new under Jah sun. Nothing new.

One Perfect Love from the Blackheart Man.

Messages In This Thread

Tyehimba's article
Tyehimba's artcile
Re: Tyehimba's artcile
Tyehimba's artcile
apology to Tyehimba
captial letters for Ras Howard
Re: captial letters for Ras Howard
A New Faculty of Interpretation: by Mutabaruka *LINK*
Re: A New Faculty of Interpretation: by Mutabaruka
Yes me brudda. RASTAFARI!!!! *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com