Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

whose God???

Greetings Bantu Kelani
in contemplating yuh posts, I feel compelled to post to yuh a very common 'story' if yuh will, of how Gods people fell for a trick dat Satan did perform fi many generations...yuh memba di account of di golden calf an moses? Let I post dis an yuh read it first, especilly paying attention to di idea of di stiff necked Israelites who sinned by NOT trusting Jah to deleiver dem. Please read dis, an den I would honour di time yuh could spend reasoning wid I woman about it, an di fact dat egyptian gods, egypt, an 'ancient spiritual practises' are not di answer to black man redemption, an dat no matter who or what yuh 'worship' or have ceremonies for, it is JAH yuh are worshipping, for He is the ONE AN ONLY GOD, WHO TOOK INI OUT OF EGYPT AN SLAVERY, AN WILL LEAD INI RIGHT OUT A HEAR, OUTTA BABYLON, an as di sistren dem Rita, Marcia, an Judy knew dat when ones was stepping outta Babylon, INI fi step straight to Zion. INI know dat Egypt is a PART of Africa, to di North, an INI are rasponsible fi all di miracles an wonderments of di ancient mesopotanian civilizations...but wid out Jah, an His plan INI would be nothing...INI would go nowhere, an as INI have seen, if we ignore Jah words, an mek a 'golden calf' rather den standing firm fi Jah, INI suffer di consequences, yuh see? INI di true Israelites nuh true? so chek it:

Hope Of Israel Ministries The Sin Of The Golden Calf

It's hard to fathom how an entire nation would truly believed that the 'golden calf' and not YHVH took them out of Egypt.

"And YHVH told Moses, come up to Me on the mountain... then Moses ascended YHVH's Mountain. To the elders he said: wait here for us until we return to you. Behold, Aaron and Hur are with you, and should there be any problems, go to them." (Ex 24:12-14)

Moses informed the elders that he was leaving 'until he returns', without specifying a date. Even though we are told that Moses remained on the mountain for forty days (Ex 24:18) the people below had no idea how long Moses would be gone, neither did Moses or Aaron know in advance.

This was not the first time that Moses ascended Mount Sinai to speak to YHVH. (Ex 19:3,20; 24:1-2) In previous ascents Moses was gone for no more than a day or two and Israel assumed that this time he would not be gone much longer.

Days passed, weeks passed, yet Moses did not return. The last time they saw him, Moses had entered a cloud-covered mountain consumed in fire (Ex 24:17-18) so they concluded that Moses was dead.

What could they do, return to Egypt? Of course not! That would be against YHVH's command. Continue their journey to Canaan? Why not! Was this not the purpose of their exodus from Egypt - to inherit the Promised Land?

Thus the Israelites approached Aaron, who Moses had left in charge (Ex 24:13-15) and asked for new leadership.

"When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, the people gathered on Aaron and said to him: Come make us an Elohim that will lead us towards the Promised Land because Moses, who took us out of the land of Egypt and promised to take us to Canaan, we do not know what has happened to him." (Ex 32:1)

They did not request a new god, but rather some one or thing that will "walk in front" and lead them to the Promised Land. This was understandable since YHVH promised to send a messenger to lead them and help them conquer the Land.

"Behold, I am sending a messenger before you to guard you and bring you to the place that I have made ready. For My angel will go before you, and bring you to the Land." (Ex 23:20-23)

This was the last promise they heard before Moses ascended Mount Sinai, and now they demanded that Aaron provide them with a messenger in order that they may continue their journey to the Promised Land.

"And Aaron said to them: Take off your gold... and bring them to me... He took it from them and cast in a mold and made it into a molten calf... this is your elohim/messenger who brought you out of the land of Egypt." (Ex 32:2-4)

The people considered this "calf" as YHVH's agent, to lead them on their journey to the land of Canaan. In their eyes, the calf was not a replacement but rather a representation of YHVH's Presence!

To assure that the calf was properly understood, Aaron called for a celebration.

"Aaron built an altar in front of it (the calf), and Aaron called out and said: A celebration for YHVH tomorrow." (Ex 32:5)

This 'celebration' paralleled the ceremony that took place at Mount Sinai forty days earlier, when Moses built an altar to YHVH.

"They woke up early in the morning, and they built an altar at the foot of the mountain, twelve pillars (monuments) for the twelve tribes of Israel... and they offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings." (Ex 24:4-5)

When Aaron made the calf he also built an altar to YHVH.

"They woke up early in the morning, after Aaron had built an altar in front of it (the calf), and they offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings." (Ex 32:5-6)

Note the obvious parallels: waking up early in the morning, building an altar in front of a 'symbol' representing their relationship with YHVH, offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, and 'eating and drinking' (compare Ex 24:11 with Ex 32:6). Moses' ceremony included reading YHVH's Word - which most likely included the promise to send a messenger/angel to lead them. (Ex 23:20-23) Not only were these two events parallel, they both related to Israel's acceptance of an intermidiary that will lead them to their promised land. In both ceremonies an altar was erected in front of a symbol representing YHVH's promises. Moses' altar had the twelve pillars, representing the Covenant with Abraham, while Aaron's altar had the golden calf, representing the Mount Sinai Covenant - a messenger to lead them.

Despite the many parallels, we find one additional phrase that is unique to the story of the golden calf.

With Moses "They beheld YHVH and they ate and drank." (Ex 24:11)
With Aaron "They sat to eat and drink and they rose to play." (Ex 32:6)

The word "play" is the key to understanding Israel's sin. The simple translation means laughing or frivolous behavior, but it also refers to licentiousness and murder and implies more than just 'dancing'. What began as a quiet ceremony turned into a 'wild party'.

Notice Joshua's initial reaction to the 'loud noise' that he heard.

"Joshua heard the sound of the people screaming loudly, and said to Moses: there are sounds of war in the camp. But Moses answered, these are not the sounds of triumph, nor are they the groans of defeat, they are sounds of wildness and frivolity that I hear." (Ex 32:17-18)

The noise from this 'wild party' was so loud that it sounded to Joshua like a war was going on.

What provoked Moses to break the tablets was "He saw the calf and the dancing and became enraged." (Ex 32:19)

Moses was more upset with the 'wild dancing' than by the calf itself. YHVH became angry and told Moses to go down on the day AFTER Aaron made the calf. (Ex 32:5-7) If Israel's primary sin was making the golden calf, YHVH would have told Moses to go down on that very same day. The fact that YHVH told him to go down on the next day, and only after "they rose up to play" points to it being the primary sin and not the golden calf.

Even though the celebration around the calf began with good intentions, as a feast to YHVH - Ex 32:5, the people's behavior quickly became wild and out of control. Once the drinking, dancing, and music began, the nation impulsively reverted back to their old ways, regressing back to their Egyptian culture. Even though Israel was still immersed in Egyptian culture, YHVH took them out of Egypt in the hope that the miracles of the exodus and their experiences on the way to Mount Sinai would create a 'change of heart'. When they arrived at Mount Sinai they proclaimed "we will do all that YHVH says and we will hear Him" (Ex 19:3-8 & 24:7) but they were not really ready to become YHVH's special nation yet.

The incident of the golden calf reflected the sad fact that despite the numerous miracles, deep down nothing had really changed.

"And YHVH spoke to Moses: I see this nation, behold it is a stiff necked people. Now, allow Me, and I will kindle My anger against them and I will destroy them and I will make you a great nation instead."

Note that "And YHVH said to Moses" is repeated twice even though Moses did not speak in between.

YHVH's first statement described the act that began with good intentions but was nonetheless forbidden. (Exodus 20:4 - "Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image." ) This sin required rebuke and forgiveness (Ex 32:30) but was not severe enough to warrant the destruction of the entire nation.

YHVH's second statement addressed their "heart condition" - "they rose to play". Because of their regression to the idolatrous Egyptian culture YHVH saw that they were a 'stiff-necked people' - unwilling to change their ways and concluded that they must be destroyed, choosing obedient and meek Moses to become His special nation instead.

These two levels are also found in the conversation between Moses and Aaron in the aftermath of this event.

"And Moses said to Aaron: What did this people do to you that caused you to bring upon them such a terrible sin?Aaron answered: You know this people, that their ways are evil." (Ex 32:21-22)

Moses knew that Aaron had no intention for the situation to get out of hand. In fact, Aaron himself was not punished and later became the first High Priest of Israel.

"Moses 'saw' the people, that they were naked (wild and out of control) to their shame, when they got up to dance." Ex 32:25

YHVH instructed Moses to lead the Israelites to the Promised Land, thus fulfilling His covenant with Abraham, but He still planned to punish them later for the sin of the 'golden calf', at the time that He finds fit.

Even though the Abrahamic Covenant was fulfilled, the 'Sinai Covenant' - "I shall go with you" - remained 'broken'.

"YHVH said to Moses; Set out from here, you and the people that you have brought out of Egypt to the Land that I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob... but I WILL NOT GO IN YOUR MIDST for you are a stiff-necked people, lest I destroy you on the journey." (Ex 33:1-3)

YHVH was no longer personally with them. This was reflected in His command that Israel remove their jewelry (a token of their betrothal) and Moses move his tent away from the camp, in order that YHVH could remain in contact with him. (Ex 33:3-7)

Hope Of Israel Ministries
http://rinahshal.tripod.com/hope_of_israel

NOW sistren, let I ask if di I is truly Rastafari or is di sistren only hear pon di board fi di furthermant of Black People...I am not suggesting dat being hear fi Black People liberation is wrong or inferior to being hear to overstan Rastafari an to fellowship wid ones of like FAITH..but sistren, I am truly interested in your ideas about Rastafari, but deh is no sense in reasoning bout it, if di I is not Rastafari nor is hear to encourage those of di Livity...let I know so dat I woman could overstand
MUCH RASPECK
in His Love an Light
kaya I

Messages In This Thread

TAKING BACK OUR GODS AND HOLY TEMPLES
Re: TAKING BACK OUR GODS AND HOLY TEMPLES
whose God???
Re: AYINDE!!!!!
hit us more with SANKARA's qoutations ! *NM*
Calling on PatriotWarrior,plase
SANKARA: Who Killed the "Lion King"?
SANKARA’S THOUGHTS ON WOMEN'S EMANCIPATION
SANKARA ON FOREIGN DEBT
SANKARA: "WE ARE HEIRS OF THE WORLD’S REVOLUTIONS"
New PATHFINDER titles by Thomas Sankara *LINK*
Many Thankx! thanks!!! PatriotWarrior!
The Maroon Within Us by Asa G. Hilliard, lll
Re: Brillant quote!
Re: UP! *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com