HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Are Jamaican Rastas Different?
In Response To: Are Jamaican Rastas Different? ()

Greetings Mamma Makeda,

I would like to first give thanks for the reasonings that you have presented. It is both interesting to see the various points of view as well as it allows Ones to examine an issue that has not really been brought into focus in many forums. Please allow I to present my perspective.

With your intro in mind I find that the answer to the question “Are Jamaican Rasta Different?” having a dual rasponse…both yes and no. Yes in that although African Consciousness is different for African Americans than it is for African Jamaicans, it is only because the OurStorical experiences are different. We each experienced slavery and all of its fallout but the way in which it was experienced was different. One example would be the fact that the island of Jamaica and the continent of the US are vastly different. Therefore the masses in the US are far greater and more spread out with way more White-Mind Sets to contend with. This made a difference in way of how unity or solidarity was much easier to achieve on certain levels in way of maintaining and communicating African Consciousness and togetherness in JA. This is not to say that African Consciousness and togetherness is minimized in the US. I say no to the question because in the US just as in JA we are all trodding in the same direction, headed for Zion however our paths may differ. So be it…just as long as we are all following the teachings of HIS MAJESTY. Each path is lined with knowledge that is eaten and shared along the way. I do however feel that here in the US we are not as close to the root of the foundation of Rastafari and there is much to learn from the elders in JA but this would also apply to Ones from South America, Africa, Asia or wherever…no difference. I also feel that JA is the root of the root/Africa so therefore Rastafari roots are Africa.

You have stated that the messages on this message board show you the huge difference between African American Rasta and Jamaican Rasta. I don’t overstand. Let I say that I view this as a very general statement. With all due RASpects Mamma Makeda could you elaborate more? Rastafari Speaks is a wonderful forum for Ones to come and share knowledge, learn and reason upon Rasta and World issues that affect us as a people. True there are times when certain topics presented may not be as welcomed as others and many may feel the need to express themselves in ways that may not be acceptable to others. However, I for One have never read this board and consciously separated or divided US Rasta from JA Rasta and I never will. I am sure there are many that will agree that there is too much division as it is within Rasta…if a general statement is to be declared let this be it.

Racism is an issue that all Africans are faced with and many on a daily basis. This is not limited only to the African American Rasta. In reference to “non-Black Rasta”, the issue is only an issue because many of them either can not or will not recognize Rastafari as an African Movement and that Africa is our foundation. Many of them come into Rasta wearing rose colored glasses and reciting “Until the color…” from His Majesty’s speech without fully overstanding what His Majesty was conveying. If African Rasta dare mention one word about Black, being Black, Black pride, Black Supremacy, or anything Black the insecure “non-Black Rasta” runs behind that speech and takes it and makes it theirs as if it were a shield to ward off an attack that was not intended for them provided that their hearts and their awareness are in the right place. All Ones are saying to them is that Rasta is an African Spiritual Revolution and that Ones who adhere to this livity need to learn from that perspective. Simple. It only gets complicated when they fight and refuse to acknowledge this. This is when Africans no matter where they are from become defensive and yes some will cuss. So are we now to believe that in Rasta race does not matter at all? If so when did this change and when did racism become an African American Rasta reality only?

I am not advocating that African Rasta should show hate towards all “non-Black Rasta”. I am upholding Death to all White and Black Oppressors. To I if One can not recognize why they get resistance from African Rasta for not overstanding the definition of Black Supremacy or Rastafari as an African Movement then that One be it a “non-Black Rasta” or not may need to meditate more on these reasonings before reacting. They may need to distinguish between the White person and the White-Mind Set. There is a difference. There are Black people with White-Mind Sets.

I sight what the I said in way of Jamaican Rastafari not having the racial problems that we have here in the US. There aren’t as many whites there. Therefore the situation is different. However I did sight that you were initially speaking of “non-Black Rasta”. And in the following paragraph you addressed racism in general. To I there is a difference. For a “non-Black Rasta” who has come to Fari means that they have accepted a Black God. Therefore their perception from other “non-Blacks” sets them apart. Ideally speaking but if we are to go on what has been post by some here on this board at times this is not always the case. I sight embrace of “non-Blacks” without the White-Mind Set. I sight the embrace of “non-Black Rasta” who sight Rastafari as an African Movement without the White-Mind Set. I can not speak for everyOne but I do feel that for the most part most African American Rasta do also.

When you speak of Jamaica and how Rasta welcome visitors from other races and nations I still can not sight where African American Rasta would be any different. We must overstand that we as Africans are a welcoming people. OurStory reveals this to us. Sadly in many cases we were constantly invaded because of our openness but I sight this as our nature…to Love and welcome. Yes we are welcoming but we are also cautious. After being stolen, beaten, raped and lied to we have to be cautious. However, we are a Loving people no matter where we come from…that is the Africa in us. So yes there are many in Rasta be them from JA, US or other parts of the Diaspora who are cautious of those who will come to Fari and change it to the point of non recognition…and yes many feel that there are “non-Black Rasta” who may have that agenda.

Mamma Makeda everyOne is drawn to Rasta because of “PEACE AND LOVE”…along with the Love of JAH and Africa. It is not what draws you it is what Rasta draws from the heart. So when mentioning Bob, Cindy and Damion I have to question RASpectfully what the point is. Is it because they are mixed? What, with all due RASpect if there had been no Bob…would there still not be Rasta? I don’t really believe that African American Rasta are as preoccupied with race mixed people as lead to believe. I am willing to say that Africans will question why so many other Africans find the need to race mix. And why is it has become such a wide spread phenomena. However, yet again I am sure there are a many African Jamaican Woman out there asking the same questions.

African OurStory is ital. Should we deny our Egyptian past and cultural practices of African tribes when it is part of OurStory? No, we all are not required to be experts on all aspects of OurStory but when JAH presents us with those willing to share what they know we should be grateful. Within Rasta we have so many Ones with so many different talents. JAH intended it to be this way. We all can not know it all. Each One Teach One. If One is not interested in reading post that has these topics…this is cyberspace and One can pick and choose whatever you want or do not want to read. There will be those who are interested and there will be those who could not be bothered. So why should we nick pick when there is a choice. Any African who is not aware of the many facets of OurStory can now log on the internet, go to the library, go to the bookstore or borrow a book. We no longer have to rely solely on school or just the Bible for knowledge. His Majesty was well read…so should we be.

I have on many occasions noted the pride in which Jamaicans have in JA even if they no longer reside there. Moving on to Africa/Home is a remote possibility for most of the Diaspora. Many want to farward but most of the many are not able to. Mamma Makeda you did mention that after reggae tours the artist who tour Africa head to JA after the tour is over. Aside from JA being a beautiful place and the root of Rasta, why don’t they farward Home permanently? They have the money to relocate. They also have the means to help others in JA make the transition. Why don’t they stay?

I sight that because Rasta’s roots are in JA Rasta from all nations need to learn wisely from the elders in JA. I really do not think that too many Rasta no matter where they are from will be willing to deny that the vibe closest to the root is the best. However I was really surprised that you would make general statements regarding African American Rasta based solely on your observations of the messages posted on this or any other Rasta message board. Please keep in mind that a lot of Ones who post here are not Rasta. Some of them are from other African faiths and some may be Pan Africans. With RASpect, what is wrong with Pan Africans? Working from a Pan African perspective is essential for Rastafari…InI opinion.

Give thanks Mamma Makeda for opening this thought provoking reasoning. Maybe when we learn to sight and accept our many differences within Rasta thru the eyes of HIS MAJESTY, no matter where we are from, we can then invoke deeper reasoning from cyberspace and beyond. I will be farwarding to JA in July and I hope that I will meet you at that time.

Blessed Love
Queen Keren

Messages In This Thread

Are Jamaican Rastas Different?
I'm sorely disappointed
I'm sorely disappointed
Reassuring Responses ....
Re: Reassuring Responses ....
Re: Are Rastas Different? One Blood
Some Interesting comments...
Re: Some Interesting comments...
Re: Some Interesting comments...
yes i- bun out softness. *NM*
Re: ArBurning fragmentation and segregation!
Well said, as an Afrikan Rastaman I must agree!
To Montwana
Re: To Montwana
Is it really sister MAKEDA writing here?????????? *NM*
comes back to tellin who what to do
Re: Heartical Reasonings Sistren Makeda!
Lions and Lambs...!!!
THE CHRIST-MAN IS THE ULTIMATE REVOLUTIONARY/REBEL
For Empress Makeda Blake Hannah *LINK*
Re: Are Jamaican Rastas Different? *LINK*
P.S.
Re: P.S.
Re: No they are no different...Afrikan a Afrikan
They are very Different
what about G.T., Trini, Bajan etc. Rastas?
Global White Supremacy is an reality...
Re: Global White Supremacy is an reality...
Roots admit it-u were teased 4 being White
Re: Roots admit it-u were teased 4 being White
have you no job???
Re: have you no job??? *LINK*
Re: Roots admit it-u were teased 4 being White *LINK*
Oh shut up Haliyma
Re: Oh shut up Haliyma
What up Lively
TO ALL IN HERE OR WHO WHO WOULD ENTER
The Negro-ette
Re: The Negro-ette
p.s.
Re: p.s.
Re: Global White Supremacy is an reality... *LINK*
FOLLOW RASTAFARI WAYS NO OTHER
Re: FOLLOW RASTAFARI WAYS NO OTHER
Sister Haliyma - Get Some Help
Re: Sister Haliyma - Get Some Help
I am in a psych ward as we speak
Haliyma, is true what you saying?
Thanks
to ayinde
Very True
Re: Very True
Very balanced and truthful reasonings, give thanx *NM*
Discussion still going on!!!!!!
LET THE ELDER SPEAK!!
Blessings, JAH TERMS.... *NM*
TO SISTER MAKEDA
Re: TO SISTER MAKEDA
Shouldn't All RasTafarians Unite In Common Cause?
INITY IS THE GOAL YES!
Bougie Ras...
Re: Bougie Ras-The Marley's-oooooooh!!
Re: Bougie Ras...

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com