HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Divisions among Rastafarians
In Response To: Divisions among Rastafarians ()

Well said. Well said. Well said.

Some of the posts on this board have made me think of lots of oxymoronic phrases used for literal twisted intentions (instead of figurative or rhetorical sense).

I posted some of them and suggested we'd do well to consider these oxymmorons as ignorant and contemptuous. One oxymoron that is really popular but that I didn't mention has a context that I you took time to discuss while I did not feel like taking such time

For example, if I may paraphrase, you mentioned “ …some whites… hold on to the idea of their privileged social positions… as they seek to pull blacks under their wings to elevate their own social prestige. Then there are Christian types of all races who were nurtured on a brand of [white] religion that generally downplayed the role of Africans in spiritual development. They rarely ever discuss the real issues that keep most people divided in favour of popular platitudes of 'one love'. In the Christian pictorial representations of spirituality, White takes the dominant role while evil carries the weight of blackness and omitting the effects of this earlier prejudice cannot break deep-seated racist attitudes. ….and those who wish the blackness to be deemphasized. By playing down the blackness of our ancestors, the mindset of White superiority is constantly nurtured and the words and intensions of some White players go unchallenged because of the general unconscious acceptance of their superiority. It is obvious to me that some are bent on keeping the Black community heavily divided and are about encouraging Blacks to congregate under their authority. Of course they will not say this…."

Anyway, your words (at least as I get them) begin to get to the context for noting another dysfunctional oxymoronic term. That term: white rasta. (This is not to discount that “whites” can refuse to identify with racism and expose it and even stop it----and in the process serve a role under Rastafari.)

I do not mean to suggest that by your owrds youmeant to convey the oxymoron I note, as you may totally disagree---so I want to make it clear that my reply is not your responsibilty. Thank you.

~ Liveth in Ancient Song Here & Now....
"By the Rivers of Babylon" (from Sublime)

By the Rivers of Babylon
Where he sat down
And where went
When he remembered Zion
Over the wicked
Carry us away captivity
Require from us a song
How can we sing king of our song
In a strange land?
So let the words of our mouth
And the meditation of our heart
Be acceptable in thy sight
Ovvver iii
By the rivers of babylon
Where he sat down
And there he went
When he remembered Zion
Over the wicked
Carry us away captivity
Require from us a song
In a strange land?
In a straaanngggee land?

Messages In This Thread

Divisions among Rastafarians
Yes I , it is an African thing, first and foremost
move up *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com