HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Bob Marley's last days hypocrisy?

I think you all know that Bob Marley was baptised 7 months before he died of cancer.

I found this passage on a web site:

"Arch Bishop Yesehaq head of the Kingston chapter of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Jamaica was initially sent to Jamaica by His Majesty to establish the church and to dispel the worship of Selassie. Selassie felt that if he personally commissioned someone to start a church that worshipped Christ and not himself, the Rastafarians would follow the true Christ. It was these reasonings and many others that eventually brought Bob Marley to be baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox church by Arch Bishop Yesehaq. This conversion is well documented in Jamaica and was strongly criticized by many Rastas. In Yesehaq's interview with Ian Boyne on JBC's "Profile" (Jamaica's most popular talk show), he discusses this matter in great detail, explaining Bob's conversion as one whole hour of weeping sobbing and tears of repentance. Another confirmation of this fact is the following: If it was not for his denouncing Selassie as God, his conversion and baptism into the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and acceptance of their belief system, his funeral would have never taken place in their church. For the Ethiopian Orthodox Church does not hold any ceremonies (including funerals) for non-members.
To further back up this fact is the testimony of Judy Mowatt. She was one of the famous "I-Threes," and a strong Rastafarian. Judy was initially disturbed by Bob's commitment to accept the doctrine of the Ethiopian Orthodox church and be baptized into their body. She and others were frustrated with Bob for forsaking all that he had stood for in his music and mission for so many years. However, almost twenty years later Judy Mowatt completely understands the commitment that Bob had made. For just a few years ago as documented in Reggae Report vol 14#6, Judy Mowatt became what she calls a "fulfilled Rasta," by becoming a born again Christian. She believes that Selassie was a very godly man, but was not God. This belief was backed by two recordings that she possesses that are interviews with Selassie in which he discusses the fact that Rastafarians follow him, yet he clearly denies being God/Christ. A portion of each of these recordings is featured on Christafari's "Why You Ago Look" (WordSound&Power) and the dub version of the same song (Dub Sound&Power) and has led to the conversions of many more Rasta."

In spite of all this, it seems that Bob actually remained Rasta and still believed in Hailé Selassié divinity in his last days just before dying as you can read in certain biographies.
Than if it is so, Bob was a kinda hypocrite to me.

You choose to be baptised (and we all know what baptism implies) and then you still believe Selassié I was divine??? How do you call it? I guess that's hypocrisy.

It's like if a Muslim decides to be baptised in the EOC and then still believes that Isa (Jesus) was just a servant of Allah and that Muhammad was the last prophet of God who spoke to him giving the Q'uran etc.

Now, what have you gotta say 'bout it?

Peace.

Messages In This Thread

Bob Marley's last days hypocrisy?
Re: Bob Marley's last days hypocrisy?
the endless debate....
the endless debate
Re: the endless debate
Yammayeraba - Stupid Coversation
Leftist The I Will Never Ever Overstand
WTF?
Re: WTF?
accepting Christ....

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com