HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: REPARATIONS FOR BLACK NATION BUILDING (got?)

Greetings and Immense Respect,

There is something eating at me that maybe you could help.

The other night I was talking with a friend from Senegal now living in america gaining and american education.

I asked him what he thought about reparations.

He said 'Heather Lynn, what what what is gonna be repaired? How they gonna REPAIR?'

I mentioned many reasons in support of reparations... on the basis of it being simply the right thing to do, it is owed to African people and it is actually their rightful money in the first place (so on and so forth). I asked him what in the world would be wrong with getting something rightfully owed to you for the betterment of your life and Africas well-being as a whole. Of course it will not change the past or fix everything, but still... how could it be wrong, etc.

He's been having trouble paying his college loans - financial difficulties. So I said, well, what would you do if you recieved quite a large check in the mail (that you rightfully deserve and then some)and could pay off all those shitstematic bills and also help your family?

You know what my struggling brother said?

He said, 'I would tear the fucking thing up in little pieces and send it back' 'I could not even tell you the words Heather Lynn that I would say to THEM, FUCK YOW WOULD NEVER BE ENUFF' 'An apology doesn't mean anything and their money doesn't mean anything'

I felt the WHOLE damn AFRICAN CONTINENT SPEAKING THROUGH HIM.

I still continued on, asking him about all the hard working brothers and sisters working for africa and the repatriation/reparations movement... and how it would also help those africans who were born here in america who had never had the blessed and rightful opportunity as he did, to live and touch african soil, etc... those who have been brainwashed. Their heritage stolen....................... the whole long list.

He then mentioned to me how I was right about him being brainwashed by the system especially when he arrived in this country and it 'fucked' up his mind and is still messed up.

I tell him sometimes he's more american than me.

Either way he'd still 'rip up the FUCKING reparations check'

(apologize for the swearing, just being honest and quoting)

So what is your response to someone who holds strong feelings such as this? For someone who does not even seem to concieve of Black Nation Building even though it is possibly staring him right in the face?

Would gratefully appreciate your thoughts on what I've shared with you. Have a wonderful day.

Love, Heather

Messages In This Thread

REPARATIONS FOR BLACK NATION BUILDING (part 1)

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com