Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: Rasta MUST think about capoeira ?

Greets Edmundo

Granted, everything came out of Ethiopia....Humans, etc....but is it fair to say that all types of martial arts were developed in Africa (Afrocentric)? Isn't that just like saying all things came from the white man (Eurocentric)? Why is it that the Asians couldn't have develoepd their own martial arts, the Africans theirs etc? Why does Black Consciousnes and Pride and re-education have to come at the expense of other cultures? (I ask this as one who has taken most of the classes in the African Studies department at the college I attended) Aside from the white race, there are other races as well, and I think it just as bad as Eurocentric history to leave out all the other cultures and their contributions to Human development. I have never read anything about Greek martial arts, but I have read about the Zen Buddhist monks who developed Kung Fu and Karate and the Samari Warriors in order to defend their monasteries against the aggressor, so I guess my point would be that I feel it is a great disservice to other cultures to exclude them from human development in order to say that all things were developed by Africans.

Just some thoughts I had while reading this post...no disrespect to any one on the baord!

Peace and Love
Jeff

Messages In This Thread

What Rasta think about capoeira ?
Re: What Rasta think about capoeira ?
Re: AXÉ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com