Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: New Ageism??
In Response To: Re: New Ageism?? ()

Greets Rootsie once again...me jus whan let de I know dat I woman cyan post a rather large post dat a "rasta board" post in reference to de church of satan an its followers an de computer company apple!! it seem not all Rasta (including all de ones me know) are not so tolerant or indifferent whan it come to satanism...yah sure yah heard of Madam Blavatsky..her real name was Helena Blavatsky, an dis woman like such tings as seances an channeling an adda teachments dat me recognize as 'SCIENCE' sis...yah sure yah nah tink Santaria is satanic??...me know most Rasta nah even deal wit de worship of statues like catholics do, an Santaria a mix dat wit occult tings all mix in...me hear nuff Rasta a yell fiyah pon de catholic church, an yah tell me dem nah gwan bawl out fiyah if dem hear some one a practise santaria.. sis me KNOW de I know betta!!
here is wha me haf to seh bout de other portion of de I post, : dis me find inna watchman expositor
Matthew 11 & 17
In Matthew 11 and 17 (parallel passage Mark 9:11-13) Jesus refers to John the Baptist as the coming again of Elijah. Is Jesus teaching that Elijah was reincarnated as John the Baptists? Surely not. Another coming of Elijah was prophesied by Malachi (4:5-6) to occur before judgment day.

Elijah didn't experience physical death as he was translated into heaven (2 Kings 2:1). Elijah still maintained his own identity and being as he was seen with Jesus at the Mount of Transfiguration after John the Baptist was born (Matthew 17:1-3). A good principle of Bible interpretation is to allow Scripture to interpret Scripture. The explanation of Jesus' reference is given in Luke 1:17 by Zechariah when he declared that John would go in the "power and spirit of Elijah," thus fulfilling Malachi 4:5-6. As Elisha received the mantle of the "spirit of Elijah" and was obviously not a reincarnation of Elijah, John too held the same office and function of Eljiah the prophet.

John even clearly stated that he was not literally Elijah (John 1:21).

John 9
In the John 9 passage, the disciples speculated on why a man was born blind. The disciples were not referring to reincarnation, although, at the time similar doctrines were propagated through the pagan religions which had emanated from Babylonia and Persia. Instead the disciples were almost certainly referring to the false beliefs of some Jewish Rabbis that all sickness is a result of sin and that infants could sin in the womb before birth.

Biblical scholar, F.F. Bruce, cites the rabbinical commentary, Geneses Rabba 63.6, and explains, "It does sometimes happen that men and women are themselves responsible in part for physical ailments.... But it is not usually so,.... The idea that an infant might sin while still in the womb, however, appears to have been entertained by some rabbis, and the disciples may have thought it possible" (The Gospel of John, p. 208).

The important point is, despite what ever the disciples meant by the question, their presuppositions were wrong. Jesus answered and corrected them by saying "neither" is the cause, but that what God will do in or through this malady is the answer and reason. In other words, in order to bring glory to God through the situation.

John 3
In John 3:3, some reincarnationists insist that to be born again must mean a previous birth.

But again, the context demonstrates another meaning. Born physically the first time and spiritually the second, while still living the first birth life (John 3:3-5). Comparing Scripture with Scripture bears out that it is the regeneration brought about by God, the Holy Spirit indwelling a believer (John 14:16-17, 16:5-15; 1 Peter 1:3, 23; 2 Corinthians 5:17).

Galatians 6
In Galatians 6:7-8, there is not even an implied reference to reincarnation.

The immediate context, chapter context, and the whole New Testament is consistent with an understanding of the consequences of sin and negative character development contrasted to walking in the Spirit and obeying Christ for those who are heaven-bound.

More Distortion
Another distinctive doctrine of the New Age is that there is no Sovereign God separate from and ruling over creation and mankind, instead man is intrinsically God within Himself.

Again, Dr. Curtis stated on the Oprah Winfrey Show, "Where is one to go to find the Divine Self, except within. The greatest teacher even once said, `the kingdom of God is within'" (video on file). This often repeated verse (Luke 17:21) is used by New Agers to show that Jesus taught that the search for the divine is inside oneself.

The interpretation consistent with the context and the rest of Scripture is that Jesus, the King, is ushering in the kingdom of God with His reign over the creation, and in the hearts of man. It is a spiritual reign which will produce righteousness and peace (Romans 15:17; Luke 23:3; Ephesians 1:18-23; John 1:12).

Jesus taught that the proper response to this kingdom is repentance and faith in His gospel (Mark 1:14). Also, only those who have been born again enter into the kingdom of God (John 3:3-5) and Jesus is addressing the Pharisees in Luke. All evidence points to the spiritual realm of Christ.

Psalm 46:10 and John 8:58
Two other passages used by New Agers to indicate man is God are Psalm 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God...," and John 8:58 (Exodus 3:14-15), "Before Abraham was, I AM."

Shirley MacLaine writes about this enlightened state in which man is God saying, "when that awareness is achieved, I will be aligned completely with that unseen Divine Force that we call God. Since I am part of that force, then I AM that I AM" (Dancing in the Light, p. 420). Unity School of Christianity leader, Eric Butterworth, writes, "Praying to God about things is taking the name of the Lord in vain.... God is present as the reality of you. There is no where to go, no one to reach for - only a Presence to experience and feel at one with. The need is to be still and know that I AM" (How to Break the Ten Commandments, p. 38).

Oprah asked Shirley MacLaine, "When you were asking yourself these questions [Who am I?; What's the purpose of my life?; What happens when I die?] the answers that came back were?"

MacLaine: "First, I had to learn to meditate... I learned to be quiet, to be still inside, to just say,`what shall I do about this?' and boom, the answer would come" (emphasis added).

Oprah continued, "And that's the same thing the Bible says, `ask and it shall be given, seek and ye shall find'. And when you connected to the higher self, is it what other people call `being born again'?" Shirley responded, "Yeah, probably, although I don't know what their definition of being born again means" (video on file).

In the Bible, Peter warns that the untaught and unstable will twist the Scriptures to their own destruction (2 Peter 3:16). These typical New Age leaders are trying to force these passages to say the exact opposite from their clear and obvious meaning. All of these passages are actually saying that God is separate from man, that Jesus is the unique God incarnate, and that man must seek Him alone for salvation and communion, not travel inside themselves.

Christians must be ready at all times to give a defense of the faith (2 Timothy 4:2).

sis me nah try fe irritate de I, me only try fe reason an share I beliefs for dem dat meh be interested..me already know de I nah interested, an so why does de I respond to I postings, unwilling to reason,..? if I woman respond I am willin to reason, agree to disagree wit out statements like "not extend to those who turn our mighty Judeo-Christian-Rasta tradition into an idolatrous mess and challenge Idrens and Idrens in pointless debate about the divinity of Selassie-I: to I this is the heights of disrespect no matter how much the sis may protest and approach with sweet words"...an sis if I woman nah answer a qwestion of de I's could de I please post it? I neva intended nah to answer unless it was a disraspeckful qwestion an den who could blame I woman? I neva remember any particular qwestion me nah answer, forgive I if I am wrong...refresh I memory!!
I woman give notin but Love an Prayers to I Saviour Jesus Christ, an Blessed Love me pray fe de I
kaya I

Messages In This Thread

New Ageism??

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com