Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

HALLOWED DAYS

Hollow days

Everytime there is a hollow (holy) day in Western society, these conversations are always circulated. I would like to go into he history of hollow days in general. Every culture, EVERY CULTURE bases their hollow days on certain times of the year. Most North and East african socieities, for instance, have their new years in September because that is the end of the rainy season and the new harvest begins. The winter solstice is a big Northern Hemisphere holy-day because it marks the "return of the sun". If you froze your butt off most of the winter, you too would be joyous at the time the days start to get longer again. Then Easter marks the "vernal Equinox" which is where the harvest and warm weather come into Western hemispheric cultures, so again, so-called Pagans found this to be a highly regarded holy-days. Cultures did not celebrate holy-days because of some evil concepts, no in fact they celebrated to celebrate the changes in life itself. Then many have a problem with the word "Pagan" as it denotes a culture who "worships" many gods. I think a bredren came on here talking about how "worship" and "gods" are not an indigineous thought. Worship has a connotation that we blindly follow and bow down to a concept, idol or man. Africans know not what worship means. Instead they revered aspects of creation and knowing they have the ability of themselves to create and therefore by definition were creators. For instance, in Khemit, You had "RA" which stood for "Radiation" which were electromagnetic rays, if you mixed that with Oxygen and Hydrogen, then you got "Water", therefore these elements should be revered for their awesome power to create. Each element comes with an internal "knowing" of how they must exist within the laws of Jah. The word "law": and "Lord" are the same concept. Jah is the "law" in which these elements must create within. Man creates manytimes outside of Jah and therefore they always end up destroying and receiving the consequences (sin). Now, I did not mean to go offtrack, but the bottom line is these holy-days have evolved to represent things that don’t represent Rastafari. Therefore most Rastas simply nah deal wit them. However, it is a stretch into intolerance and self judgement when ones put down these practices. I&I grew up dressing up for halloween and trust me, that is the least thing I&I worry about concerning the wrongs that have done to my consciousness by babble-wrong.

Blessings
Empress FiYah

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com